Improve Your Math Study Techniques

• Thread starter Noxide
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Studying
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of improving study techniques and efficiency. The speaker shares their current method of working through examples, doing questions, and rewriting notes, but admits it is not efficient. The other person suggests focusing on working more problems and learning LaTeX for note-taking. They also advise finding balance and repetition in studying rather than trying to master one section completely. The conversation concludes with a discussion on overcoming arrogance in learning and the natural humbling effect of advanced mathematics courses.
Noxide
I need some tips on how to improve my study techniques.

Normally, I:

work through all the examples in a section and make my own notes
do the questions in the section and refine my notes again
write out a final copy of my notes and memorize them

Although this works well, it's just not efficient.

I need some tips to improve the efficiency of this studying system.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Please see the posts https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=351178".

Do you mean inefficient in that it takes up too much time? You may be spending too much time memorizing and getting everything out of the section and not spending enough time applying that knowledge by working enough problems. Working as many problems as possible is what allows you to detect your weaknesses.

Also, maybe spend less time completely rewriting your notes. Does this really improve your retention or ability to apply the material?

If you find yourself having to write up complete notes, then maybe learn LaTeX if you are planning to do pure math. It's good to learn this eventually. Plus, once you get decently proficient at it, it will allow you to quickly edit your notes rather than completely rewriting them. I would only recommend this if you are doing upper level math and not the more computation based courses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I read your posts and found them very helpful.

I often find that I overwhelm myself in trying to focus on 1 section and it's contents until I have completely mastered it, meanwhile neglecting most of the other sections.
How do you get out of setting unrealistic goals like trying to do every single question in a section?

I'm going to try "mixing it up" in the section before I've memorized the concepts of the section. I think I may indeed be spending too much time memorizing rather than trying.

The thing you want to achieve is balance plus repetition. It isn't reasonable to understand one section absolutely and then move on to the next. In fact, it's rare that will happen anyway. Do one section until you feel you've covered it sufficiently and then move on. Once you've finished the sections you've set out to review, then rinse and repeat. Don't set there spinning your tires on just a single idea or concept.

Will do!

heh, one more question...

How do you overcome arrogance? ie after learning a subject or a class really well, i feel as though every other class should come just as easily but without the toil. Do you have any tips on... deflating one's own academic ego?

Well for one, I just refuse the idea of arrogance, and don't entertain it at all. I also try to avoid certain mathematical lingo and fancy-talk to avoid the higher than thou attitude. Also, mathematics has a way of naturally checking one's arrogance and brings humility to even the strongest of minds. I don't know what level of courses you are taking, but as you move up the abstraction ladder of mathematics, things become much more difficult. Math students are put through the calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations sequence, but then things change direction completely and they are faced with analysis and abstract algebra. This change of pace basically says that you know nothing and now we'll build up everything from scratch. This is humbling in itself.

Related to Improve Your Math Study Techniques

1. What are some effective ways to improve my math study techniques?

Some effective ways to improve your math study techniques include: regularly practicing problems, breaking down complex concepts into smaller parts, seeking help from a tutor or teacher when needed, creating study guides or flashcards, and actively participating in class discussions.

2. How can I stay motivated while studying math?

To stay motivated while studying math, try setting specific goals for yourself, rewarding yourself for achieving those goals, and finding a study group or partner to keep you accountable. It can also be helpful to remind yourself of the long-term benefits of improving your math skills.

3. Can I improve my math skills even if I struggle with the subject?

Yes, anyone can improve their math skills with practice and determination. It may take more time and effort for some individuals, but with a positive attitude and a willingness to learn, improvement is possible.

4. Is it important to understand the foundations of math before moving on to more advanced topics?

Yes, understanding the foundations of math is crucial for building a strong understanding of more advanced topics. It is important to review and solidify basic concepts before moving on to more complex ones.

5. How can I use technology to improve my math study techniques?

There are several ways to use technology to improve your math study techniques. Some options include using online resources and tutorials, downloading educational apps, and utilizing graphing calculators or other math-specific software. However, it is important to also balance technology use with traditional studying methods for optimal learning.