Improve Your JAVA Sudoku Game with Helpful Tips - Urgent Project Assistance

In summary, The speaker is asking for help with a mini-project involving editing a Java code for a Sudoku game. They have a few ideas for improvements, including exception handling, undo/redo, different color schemes, and adding background music and animations. They also mention wanting to change text during runtime and manually adjusting coordinates for components. They mention using NetBeans and looking for a Java tutorial on these topics. Another speaker offers some advice on using threads and AWT for these changes.
AhmedEzz
Hi guys, I'm being asked to do a mini-project...Basically, i get a code in JAVA and "edit". Editting can be improving the interface, adding exception handling or adding features and so...I chose Sudodu as my topic..after much searching I found this code but I'm out of ideas, what can be improved in this code? this is URGENT please help

http://mathijs.jurresip.nl/2006/12/29/sudoku-generator-source/

Please help guys, if u can tip me or find a better code...I really need this,please.

Technology news on Phys.org
I have a few ideas,maybe you can evaluate them and their difficulty to implement:

- Exception handling..i'll try to figure out something
- Undo/Redo
- Different color schemes
- Adding classical background music that can be turned ON/OFF
- Print the generated puzzle
- Replace the icons
- Maybe include some sort of animationsI'm using NetBeans btw...please guys, I'm in urgent need for your help

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know how to run a sound file from within a program??

I want the user to click a button and an external sound file runs...sorta background music.

Moreover, how can I do simple text animations? - really simple-

is there a Java tutorial thread ?

I don't know but I hope there is because even after googling, I still can't make those simple text animations that I'm after...

Never do these things:
- Adding unnecessary sounds
- Adding fun animation (use this only if it is needed)
- Bright colors

Preferable things:
- Make it more simple
- Don't use too much try-catch .. do only if the thing is out of your control; let is crash :smile:
- Make everything more accessible

Tutorial: http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/

Adding sound:
there's a class for that. I don't remember it's name but it's two line codes

Animations:
I only know simple ones

loop
Thread.Sleep (1000);
Xfuncton();

Xfunction()
//move things around
use x-y cods or other color properties

Last edited:
thanks a lot mate, finally someone nice helps.

Adding sound:
there's a class for that. I don't remember it's name but it's two line codes

Any clue where to look? I've found some on the internet but its way too advanced for my level - first course ever-...

http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-06-1998/jw-06-sound.html

thanks a million man.

I have something in mind, Is there a way in which I can change the text in textfield/area/label during runtime? I want to create a flashing effect with text..and to do that I'll make a thread that setText() into something "My example" then into nothing "" and then sleep for a sec, by that it should create a blinking effect.
Also, in the application i am using FlowLayout, can I manually change the co-oridnates of the components or is it determined for good?

Those are possible.. much easier if you use netbeans.

It would be really crazy if you are doing all this to a business applications =:)

its a sudoku game, and I am using netbeans but the original writer of the code is using awt not swing...If what I reffered to in post #9 can you please please please please please tell me how or give me a link or any hints/clues? I tried to do it but the problem is the text in the text field does not change during runtime...

Also, in the application i am using FlowLayout, can I manually change the co-oridnates of the components or is it determined for good?

go to java.sun.com u can do all that with awt and threads. text boxes all have a setText method

Related to Improve Your JAVA Sudoku Game with Helpful Tips - Urgent Project Assistance

1. How can I improve my JAVA Sudoku game?

To improve your JAVA Sudoku game, you can start by implementing helpful tips such as using a backtracking algorithm, creating a user-friendly interface, and adding features like highlighting duplicate numbers or showing potential solutions.

2. What is a backtracking algorithm in Sudoku?

A backtracking algorithm is a recursive algorithm that is commonly used in solving Sudoku puzzles. It works by trying different numbers in empty cells until a solution is found. If a number is found to be incorrect, the algorithm backtracks and tries a different number until a valid solution is found.

3. How can a user-friendly interface improve my Sudoku game?

A user-friendly interface can improve your Sudoku game by making it easier for players to interact with the game. This can include features such as drag and drop functionality, clear and visible instruction prompts, and intuitive design that is easy to navigate.

4. Can I add features to my Sudoku game to make it more challenging?

Yes, you can add features to your Sudoku game to make it more challenging for players. Some examples include adding different difficulty levels, adding time limits, or implementing a scoring system. These features can make the game more dynamic and engaging for players.

5. Where can I get urgent project assistance for my JAVA Sudoku game?

There are many online resources available for urgent project assistance with your JAVA Sudoku game. You can join online forums or communities of JAVA developers, seek help from your peers or mentors, or hire a professional freelancer or tutor to assist you with your project.