Improve Math Problem Solving - 15yo University Student

In summary, the person is 15 years old and currently in the highest mathematics class at school. They are also being lectured at a university every Friday for enrichment. They are good at problem solving in physics but struggle with mathematics because they are not given guidance on which areas to use. They are seeking advice on how to improve their problem solving skills in mathematics in order to become an astrophysicist in the future. The recommendation is to have a thorough understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and elementary calculus, as most higher mathematics used in physics starts from there. Additionally, practicing daily and reading the math text before solving questions can also improve problem solving skills.
Cbray
Hi, I'm 15 and currently in the highest mathematics class at school - And being lectured at a university every Friday as an enrichment. Though, I am very good at problem solving in physics, but very bad at mathematics. I find it hard because I don't get told what area of mathematics I should be using.

Do any of you know how to improve my problem solving skills in mathematics, I want to be an astrophysicist when I'm older, and I'm excelling but my weakness is problem solving.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
In high school, once you have finished algebra and trigonometry, you should get a thorough understanding of elementary calculus. Most of higher mathematics, as used in physics, starts from this point.

Cbray said:
Hi, I'm 15 and currently in the highest mathematics class at school - And being lectured at a university every Friday as an enrichment. Though, I am very good at problem solving in physics, but very bad at mathematics. I find it hard because I don't get told what area of mathematics I should be using.

Do any of you know how to improve my problem solving skills in mathematics, I want to be an astrophysicist when I'm older, and I'm excelling but my weakness is problem solving.

Hiii Cbray , its me Sankalp.You remember.
I am 14 years , in 10th class. Will be 15 in November.

Well in mathematics , logic and practice play a joint role. You must practice daily the difficult and competitive level questions. Before solving you must read your math text also.

Related to Improve Math Problem Solving - 15yo University Student

1. How can I improve my math problem solving skills as a 15-year-old university student?

As a scientist, I would recommend practicing regularly and seeking help from your professors or tutors when needed. It is also important to understand the fundamentals and concepts behind the problems rather than just memorizing formulas. Additionally, try to challenge yourself with more difficult problems to improve your critical thinking and problem-solving abilities.

2. Are there any specific techniques or strategies that can help me improve my math problem solving?

Yes, there are several techniques and strategies that can be helpful. These include breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts, using diagrams or visual aids, and trying different problem-solving methods such as trial and error or working backwards. It is important to find what works best for you and continue to practice and refine your approach.

3. How can I stay motivated and engaged while solving math problems?

One way to stay motivated is to set specific goals for yourself and track your progress. This can help you see your improvement and give you a sense of accomplishment. It can also be helpful to work with a study group or find a study partner to keep each other accountable and motivated. Additionally, taking breaks and rewarding yourself for your efforts can help you stay engaged and motivated.

4. Are there any online resources or tools that can help me improve my math problem solving?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools available to help improve math problem solving skills. These can include interactive tutorials, practice problems, and online forums where you can ask for help and collaborate with others. Some universities also offer online tutoring services for students who need additional support.

5. How can I overcome my fear or anxiety related to solving math problems?

As a scientist, I understand that math can be intimidating for some people. One way to overcome this fear or anxiety is to practice regularly and start with easier problems before moving on to more difficult ones. It can also be helpful to remind yourself that making mistakes is a natural part of the learning process and to focus on the progress you are making rather than any mistakes you may make along the way. Seeking support from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial in building confidence and overcoming fear or anxiety.