Improper Integrals: Definite & Indefinite | Bounds -1 to 1

• I
  • Thread starter FS98
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, we discussed taking the definite integral of 1/x with respect to x between the bounds of -1 and 1, and concluded that it would be improper. We then considered the indefinite integral of 1/x, which is ln|x|, and whether we can find indefinite integrals for discontinuous functions. We determined that while continuity is not necessary for integrability, expressing these antiderivatives as compositions of elementary functions may not always be possible.
FS98
if I wanted to take the definite integral of 1/x with respect to x, with the bounds -1 and 1, the integral would be improper.

What about the indefinite integral? We can find the indefinite integral of 1/x to be ln|x|. Can we find the indefinite integral of discontinuous functions?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
FS98 said:
if I wanted to take the definite integral of 1/x with respect to x, with the bounds -1 and 1, the integral would be improper.

What about the indefinite integral? We can find the indefinite integral of 1/x to be ln|x|. Can we find the indefinite integral of discontinuous functions?
The function f(x) = ln|x| is defined and continuous on two disjoint intervals: ##(-\infty, 0)## and ##(0, \infty)##. An indefinite integral is an antiderivative, a function, while a definite integral represents a number. Since ln|x| is differentiable on either of the two intervals listed above, and its derivative is 1/x, then it's valid to say that ##\int \frac {dx} x = \ln|x|## plus a constant.

It is important to note that an indefinite integral is not over an interval, but only at a point, so your question raises a problem only at x=0.

Mark44 said:
The function f(x) = ln|x| is defined and continuous on two disjoint intervals: ##(-\infty, 0)## and ##(0, \infty)##. An indefinite integral is an antiderivative, a function, while a definite integral represents a number. Since ln|x| is differentiable on either of the two intervals listed above, and its derivative is 1/x, then it's valid to say that ##\int \frac {dx} x = \ln|x|## plus a constant.
I am nitpicking here, but it seems to me that we had a discussion around this sort of topic some time ago. The antiderivative would be a family of functions which are definable piecewise as ##\ln|x|## plus a constant for x < 0 and ##\ln|x|## plus a [possibly different] constant for x > 0.

Likes mfb
FS98 said:

Continuity is not necessary for integrability. So, yes, we certainly can find antiderivatives for functions containing discontinuities. Whether you can express these antiderivatives as compositions of elementary functions is another matter, however.

Riemann integrals are the work of the devil, I tell you.

Related to Improper Integrals: Definite & Indefinite | Bounds -1 to 1

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral where either the upper or lower limit of integration is infinite, or where the integrand function is not defined at one or more points within the bounds of integration.

2. How is an improper integral different from a standard definite integral?

Unlike a standard definite integral, an improper integral cannot be evaluated using the fundamental theorem of calculus. Instead, it requires special techniques such as limit evaluation or transformation into a proper integral.

3. What is the significance of the bounds being -1 to 1?

The bounds of an improper integral are important because they determine the behavior of the integrand function at the endpoints. In the case of -1 to 1, it means that the function may not be defined or may approach infinity at one or both of these points.

4. How can we determine if an improper integral converges or diverges?

An improper integral converges if its limit as the upper and lower bounds approach infinity is a finite value. It diverges if the limit approaches infinity or negative infinity, or if the function is not defined at one or both of the endpoints.

5. Can we use the same techniques for evaluating both definite and indefinite improper integrals?

While some techniques may be applicable to both types of improper integrals, there are also specific methods for evaluating definite and indefinite improper integrals. For example, for definite integrals, we often use limits to evaluate the integral, while for indefinite integrals, we may need to use substitution or integration by parts.