Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Improper integrals (Comparison Test)

renyikouniao

Jun 1, 2013
Use the comparison test to find out whether or not the following improper integral exist(converge)?
integral(upper bound:infinity lower bound:2) 1/(1-x^2) dx

Here's my solution for 3),but I think something went wrong

For all x>=2
0<=-(2-2x)<=-(1-x^2) that means: 0<=-1/(1-x^2)<=-1/(2-2x)

and

integral (upper bound : infinity.lower bound : 2)
-1/(2-2x)=1/2lim(t->infinity)[In(2-2t)-In(-2)]

According to Comparison Test
If ) the integral -1/(2-2x) is convergent,then the integral -1/(1-x^2) is convergent.

But the integral -1/(2-2x) is divergent....so I don't know what to do next...

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
\(\displaystyle x^2-1=(x-1)(x+1) \geq \sqrt{x} \cdot x \)

for all \(\displaystyle x \geq 3\) .

renyikouniao

Jun 1, 2013
\(\displaystyle x^2-1=(x-1)(x+1) \geq \sqrt{x} \cdot x \)

for all \(\displaystyle x \geq 3\) .
Can I state:if the integral (upper bound: a lower bound: b )is convergent/divergent.
then the negative integral (upper bound: a lower bound: b )is convergent/divergent.

For ex:If I prove 1/(x^2-1) is convergent,then I can say 1/(1-x^2) is convergent too.

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
Can I state:if the integral (upper bound: a lower bound: b )is convergent/divergent.
then the negative integral (upper bound: a lower bound: b )is convergent/divergent.

For ex:If I prove 1/(x^2-1) is convergent,then I can say 1/(1-x^2) is convergent too.
Yes , of course . For an integral to be convergent that means it has a value that is not infinite . So if we have the following

\(\displaystyle \int^b_a f(x) \, dx = C\) converges then

\(\displaystyle \int^a_b f(x) \, dx = -\int^b_a f(x) \, dx = - C \)

Since the integral has a finite value , it obviously converges because this is what it means to converge .

If you are talking about positive functions then the integral means a finite area under the function on the interval [a,b] . Clearly the area will still be finite if we change the limits to be \(\displaystyle [b,a]\) but since we are traveling on the opposite side it will be with a negative sign .

Last edited: