Impression of relative velocities

• B
  • Thread starter jishnu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relative
In summary, the farther object on the side (seen through the window of the vehicle) seems to move a bit slower than the nearer object. This is due to the parallax effect, which is the normal way that these strange effects that we see when moving on trains etc.. A search on the term will give you plenty to think about and many explanations.
jishnu
Hi everyone,
This is just a random thought that popped up in my mind while I was traveling in train to my college
When we are inside a moving object and looking outside those thing that are near appears to move back(or move in opposite direction to that of our motion) with a same speed as ours but the farther object on the side(as seen through the window of the vehicle) seems to move a bit slower!
I have felt the same when looking to moon from a moving perspective, it seems the moon does not move.
I wonder how can these thing be explained!

Physics news on Phys.org
The angular velocity of objects (how fast they move through your field of vision) depends on the ratio of their speed and their distance.
Near -> large angular velocity
Far -> small angular velocity

Likes jishnu
mfb said:
The angular velocity of objects (how fast they move through your field of vision) depends on the ratio of their speed and their distance.
Near -> large angular velocity
Far -> small angular velocity
Could you make it more specific. Will I be right to take the centre of rotation as the far point that I look at when considering the point about which it rotates!

You are the center of the perceived rotation.

mfb said:
You are the center of the perceived rotation.
Ohk, now that make sense
Thank you[emoji3531]

Likes berkeman
For a visual representation, the black lines are your field of vision. Your motion is "downward" in the figure.
fov.gif

At first, both the distant and near object are in the center of your field of vision and along the same sight line.
At some moment later, you have moved to a new position relative to the objects as shown by the green arrow. The new sight lines to the objects are shown. Even though your relative motion and resultant shift in position relative to both objects is the same, the sight line to the nearer object has shifted more than the sight line to the further object. Extrapolating this forward and backward in time has the nearer object entering your field of vision well after, leaving it well before, and taking less time to cross your field of vision than the further object does.

Attachments

• fov.gif
    fov.gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 795
Likes jishnu and LURCH
jishnu said:
...the farther object on the side(as seen through the window of the vehicle) seems to move a bit slower...
Do you understand why farther objects look smaller? The distance they move per time looks smaller for the same reason.

Last edited:
Janus said:
For a visual representation, the black lines are your field of vision. Your motion is "downward" in the figure.
View attachment 237760
At first, both the distant and near object are in the center of your field of vision and along the same sight line.
At some moment later, you have moved to a new position relative to the objects as shown by the green arrow. The new sight lines to the objects are shown. Even though your relative motion and resultant shift in position relative to both objects is the same, the sight line to the nearer object has shifted more than the sight line to the further object. Extrapolating this forward and backward in time has the nearer object entering your field of vision well after, leaving it well before, and taking less time to cross your field of vision than the further object does.
This is more convincing and simple explanation
Thank you [emoji3531]

A.T. said:
Do you understand why farther object look smaller? The distance they move per time looks smaller for the same reason.
I guess that is because of the perspective,
I don't know whether I am right!

[emoji846]

jishnu said:
Hi everyone,
This is just a random thought that popped up in my mind while I was traveling in train to my college
When we are inside a moving object and looking outside those thing that are near appears to move back(or move in opposite direction to that of our motion) with a same speed as ours but the farther object on the side(as seen through the window of the vehicle) seems to move a bit slower!
I have felt the same when looking to moon from a moving perspective, it seems the moon does not move.
I wonder how can these thing be explained!
No one seems to have introduced the term "Parallax" yet. That's the normal way that these strange effects that we see when moving on trains etc.. A search on the term will give you plenty to think about and many explanations.

sophiecentaur said:
No one seems to have introduced the term "Parallax" yet. That's the normal way that these strange effects that we see when moving on trains etc.. A search on the term will give you plenty to think about and many explanations.
How parallax is getting connected with this phenomenon! [emoji848]

jishnu said:
How parallax is getting connected with this phenomenon! [emoji848]
I suggest you read about parallax and then you will find out. It is the best explanation of the effect you get on a train and the same effect is used in calculating the distance to stars.
Good old Wiki will tell you all about it.

Janus said:
At some moment later, you have moved to a new position relative to the objects as shown by the green arrow.
Janus's diagram also (nearly) shows why very distant objects such as the Sun or Moon do not appear to move at all. They are almost at infinity, so the line of sight remains in the same position. I remember asking my father this very question when I was small and staring out the car window. Trees flashed past but the Sun was steady. His correct explanation went over my head.:cry:

Last edited:
Likes jishnu

1. What is the definition of relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the measurement of the motion of one object with respect to another object. It takes into account the speed and direction of both objects and is used to determine the overall motion between them.

2. How is relative velocity different from absolute velocity?

Absolute velocity refers to the speed and direction of an object with respect to a fixed point, while relative velocity takes into account the motion of two objects with respect to each other. Absolute velocity is constant, while relative velocity can change depending on the motion of the two objects.

3. How is relative velocity calculated?

Relative velocity is calculated by subtracting the velocity of one object from the velocity of the other object. This can be done using vector addition or by using the formula vrel = vB - vA, where vrel is the relative velocity, vB is the velocity of the second object, and vA is the velocity of the first object.

4. What are some real-life applications of relative velocity?

Relative velocity is used in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and navigation. It is important in understanding the motion of objects in space, calculating the speed and direction of moving objects, and predicting collisions between objects. It is also used in sports, such as baseball, to determine the speed and direction of a pitch.

5. How does relative velocity affect the perception of time?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time is relative to an observer's frame of reference. This means that the perception of time can vary depending on the relative velocities of two objects. For example, time may appear to move slower for an object moving at a high relative velocity compared to an object at rest.