Zimbabwean players protested against Mugabe

• News
  • Thread starter Viper
  • Start date
In summary: Otherwise, Mugabe will be back in power for a long time.In summary, Viper believes that something should be done about Zimbabwe, and believes a fair election is possible, but believes that it would be difficult to take over the country if the opposition is not released.
Viper
I know this is a bit of a different thread in the context of Iraq. Do you agree that Mugabe is doing to his people what Saddam did to his? In the cricket world cup two Zimbabwean players protested against Mugabe and were told if they ever came back to Zimbabwe they would be killed. Is this right and should we do something about it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are dozens of countries in the same plight, Viper. We're only one nation and we can't help all of them at once. But I would support a doctrine of going into as many of those countries as we reasonably can. That would be a major change in policy though that the American people and the world community would not support.

There is much hypocrisy on both sides. One side says we interfere too much with the affairs of others but should do more. The other says we should do as much as we can to help others but we are not the world's policeman.

The Mugabe problem should have been nipped in the bud at the last election. But now, war isn't the best policy.

Since the opposition is still around the focus should be to get the international community to judge the previous election invalid (as many independent observers suggested) and call for a re-election. And this time, stick it peacekeepers to make sure this election is genuine. Until we do that, Mugabe still maintains a tenuous idea of being semi-democratically elected, and it would be exceedingly difficult to deal with him, or to put in the idea of being liberators.

Im not sure if you realize but I am from england

Does it make a difference?

Maybe he was referring to my "we're only one nation" phrase, FZ+. I wasn't inferring that you were American, Viper - "we" means me and my fellow Americans, not specifically you.

What I meant was that I feel that something should be done about zimbabwe in general.By the way russ, what other countries are in the same plight?

Originally posted by Viper
What I meant was that I feel that something should be done about zimbabwe in general.By the way russ, what other countries are in the same plight?
N Korea for starters. Somalia, the Ivory Coast (France's little war) and a handful of other african countries.

FZ-
Do you think a fair election is possible at this point? with so many of the opposition parties supporters dead and imprisoned?

Kat that is so true? at this rate only way mugabe would go is to die of age.

FZ-
Do you think a fair election is possible at this point? with so many of the opposition parties supporters dead and imprisoned?
Hmm, well getting them released would be a start. No matter what we do, it is necessary that they be released. Even if we invade (which I don't think we should), we would need the opposition to take over.

1. Why did Zimbabwean players protest against Mugabe?

The Zimbabwean players protested against Mugabe because they were dissatisfied with the current state of the country and the government's handling of the economy, which has greatly affected their livelihoods and ability to play and represent their country.

2. What was the form of protest used by the players?

The players chose to wear black armbands during their match as a sign of mourning for the current state of their country and to show solidarity with the people of Zimbabwe.

3. Did the protest affect the game?

No, the protest did not affect the game. The players still played the match as scheduled and there were no interruptions or delays due to the protest.

4. What was the response from the government and Mugabe?

The government and Mugabe did not directly respond to the protest, but it has been reported that they were not pleased with the players' actions and have warned them against making any political statements.

5. Are there any consequences for the players involved in the protest?

As of now, there have been no reported consequences for the players involved in the protest. However, there is a possibility that they may face repercussions from the government or the football association in the future.