Making a wormhole just got easier

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wormhole
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of wormholes in different science fiction shows such as Quantum Leap and Sliders. Some participants believe that Quantum Leap used wormholes while others believe it was more about entanglement. The possibility of natural wormholes is also brought up, but no observations or evidence have been found. Some participants also joke about getting sparkles and fizzles from microwaving metal and remind others not to try it.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Re: Nature

http://www.nature.com/nsu/030527/030527-12.html

Physics news on Phys.org
heard of that before, but the sad part is the only thing the article done was make me wonder where they used Wormholes in Quantum leap?

Originally posted by ArmedJimmy
heard of that before, but the sad part is the only thing the article done was make me wonder where they used Wormholes in Quantum leap?

I think you confuse sliding with leaping [amateurs ]

Really though, considering that we spent an entire period in Quantum Mechanics discussing the idea of Heisenberg compensators [who can name the show and episode?], I will make my point.

When one leaps, clearly one is forced into another quantum state. I think Quantum leap played more with the idea of entanglement than wormholes. His "theory" was [approximately] that our lives are like a jumble of yarn; with points in the timeline contacting other points making a sort of temporal jigsaw. He then leapt from one point in the timeline to another at these intersections. Also, as you have seen, when you leap, you fizzle and sparkle.

Clearly Sliders was a wormhole based idea. Michio Kaku's book Hyperspace was shown in the original episode. We are lead to believe that if you're a boy genius this is all you need to make wormholes. I heard Kaku told about this a couple of years ago. He never even knew anything about it. I have always wondered if he went after royalties. Finally, as you have seen, wormholes make a big blue sucking thing, as opposed to sparkles and fizzles. Would you please be careful with your terminology.

That was my point. It was the article that said Quantum Leap used wormholes, I was aking where as I had never seen them.

this sounds like total madness run wild

I have always known our lives are like a jumble of yarn
but have never personally encountered the big blue sucking thing
and only rarely at best met with sparkles and fizzles

in ancient times there was a Vulcan halfbreed with pointed ears----and occasionally things sparkled in the
transporter room. by your account there has been a lot of progress since then.

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
I think you confuse sliding with leaping [amateurs ]

Really though, considering that we spent an entire period in Quantum Mechanics discussing the idea of Heisenberg compensators [who can name the show and episode?], I will make my point.

When one leaps, clearly one is forced into another quantum state. I think Quantum leap played more with the idea of entanglement than wormholes. His "theory" was [approximately] that our lives are like a jumble of yarn; with points in the timeline contacting other points making a sort of temporal jigsaw. He then leapt from one point in the timeline to another at these intersections. Also, as you have seen, when you leap, you fizzle and sparkle.

Clearly Sliders was a wormhole based idea. Michio Kaku's book Hyperspace was shown in the original episode. We are lead to believe that if you're a boy genius this is all you need to make wormholes. I heard Kaku told about this a couple of years ago. He never even knew anything about it. I have always wondered if he went after royalties. Finally, as you have seen, wormholes make a big blue sucking thing, as opposed to sparkles and fizzles. Would you please be careful with your terminology.

If you put a plate with metal trimmings in the micorwave you get fizzles and sparkles! I'm off to see if I can leap!

Originally posted by
this sounds like total madness run wild

I have always known our lives are like a jumble of yarn
but have never personally encountered the big blue sucking thing
and only rarely at best met with sparkles and fizzles

in ancient times there was a Vulcan halfbreed with pointed ears----and occasionally things sparkled in the
transporter room. by your account there has been a lot of progress since then.

Marcus, I suspect that you have never seen the TV shows of which we speak. This is just Sci Fi. No reality intended.

Edit: whoops, after judging the tone of youf post I suspect that I am missing your humor

Last edited:
Originally posted by ArmedJimmy
If you put a plate with metal trimmings in the micorwave you get fizzles and sparkles! I'm off to see if I can leap!

ArmedJimmy, I will only tell you one more time: Do not climb into the microwave and hit start again.

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
ArmedJimmy, I will only tell you one more time: Do not climb into the microwave and hit start again.

great idea! LOL

do we have any reason to believe that wormholes occur naturally? do we have any observations?

Originally posted by maximus
do we have any reason to believe that wormholes occur naturally? do we have any observations?

As far I as I know, no. Some people believe that they occur at the centre of black holes, inside the infinite-time warp radius(forget the proper name). But no ones been yet!

1. How is it possible to make a wormhole?

Scientists have theorized that wormholes could be created by manipulating the fabric of spacetime. This could be done using an extremely powerful gravitational field or by using exotic matter with negative mass.

2. What makes making a wormhole easier now?

Recent advancements in technology have allowed scientists to better understand the nature of spacetime and the possibility of creating wormholes. Additionally, new discoveries in quantum mechanics have provided potential methods for manipulating spacetime.

3. What challenges are involved in creating a wormhole?

Creating a wormhole is an incredibly complex and theoretical process. It would require a vast amount of energy and technology that is currently beyond our capabilities. Additionally, there are concerns about the stability and safety of a created wormhole.

4. What are the potential benefits of creating a wormhole?

If a stable wormhole could be created, it could potentially revolutionize space travel and allow for much faster and more efficient travel across vast distances. It could also provide a way for scientists to study and explore distant parts of the universe.

5. Are there any ethical concerns surrounding creating a wormhole?

As with any new technology, there are ethical considerations that must be taken into account. Creating a wormhole could have unforeseen consequences and raise questions about the impact on other dimensions or timelines. It is important for scientists to carefully consider the potential risks and benefits before attempting to create a wormhole.