What is the origin of Boxing Day?

• Thread starter Njorl
  • Start date
In summary, Boxing Day takes its name from an old English tradition where churches would open alms boxes and distribute money to the poor on the day after Christmas. This tradition is still practiced in some places, and in Canada, it is also a day to give gifts to postal workers and delivery servicepeople. Despite its name, it has nothing to do with pugilism or containers, as some may have mistakenly thought.
Njorl
Science Advisor
Is it about pugilism or containers?

Njorl

Physics news on Phys.org
Boxing day takes its name after a tradition practiced by churches in English speaking countries during the middle ages. Churches opened 'alms boxe', which contained gifts of money, then distributed them to the poor on the day after Christmas day. Still practiced today too in some places. Gifts are given to postal workers and other delivery servicepeople.

Thank you.

Originally posted by Njorl
Is it about pugilism or containers?

Njorl

HA HA HA

I never knew what Boxing Day was either, but it always conjured up a very funny image in my mind. I always pictured it as a day in which all Canadians united in solemn celebration and the spirit of brotherhood, to beat the crap out of each other.

Guess I was wrong.

Early in my childhood, I conceived the notion that it had something to do with lots of empty containers left over from Christmas. I imagined that Canadiens did something special with all the boxes. It was so deeply entrenched, that it seemed reasonable to me even last week.

Njorl

Originally posted by Tom
I always pictured it as a day in which all Canadians united in solemn celebration and the spirit of brotherhood, to beat the crap out of each other.

I had that same thought when I saw the day "Canadian Boxing Day" on my calendar. Another holiday to celebrate, yay

Boxing Day is an old English tradition - The Canadian's must have 'borrowed' it from us. But as they are a Commonwealth country, that's OK.

1. What is the origin of Boxing Day?

Boxing Day has roots in medieval England, where it was a custom for wealthy families to give boxes of gifts or money to their servants and tradespeople on the day after Christmas as a thank-you for their services throughout the year.

2. Why is it called Boxing Day?

The name "Boxing Day" comes from the tradition of giving boxes of gifts to servants and tradespeople. It may also refer to the practice of collecting donations in boxes at churches and distributing them to the poor on this day.

3. When is Boxing Day celebrated?

Boxing Day is celebrated on December 26th, the day after Christmas. However, in some countries such as Canada, it is observed on the following Monday if December 26th falls on a weekend.

4. How is Boxing Day celebrated?

In many countries, Boxing Day is a national holiday and is celebrated with various traditions such as attending sporting events, going shopping for post-Christmas sales, and enjoying a large family meal. Some countries also have traditional activities like fox hunting or giving to charity.

5. Is Boxing Day celebrated worldwide?

While Boxing Day is primarily observed in countries with British roots such as the UK, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand, it is also celebrated in other parts of the world such as South Africa, Hong Kong, and some European countries. However, it is not a recognized holiday in the United States.