Implicit differentiation

In summary: No. You need to differentiate implicitly with respect to x. Use the product rule on 2xy (and the chain rule on y). Don't forget to post all of your work.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$$6x-\sqrt{2xy}+xy^3 ={y}^{2}$$
$$6-?+3x{y}^{2}{y'}^{}+{y}^{3}=2y{y'}^{}$$

Got stumped on this one answer was complicated...

Physics news on Phys.org
karush said:
$$6x-\sqrt{2xy}+xy^3 ={y}^{2}$$
$$6-?+3x{y}^{2}{y'}^{}+{y}^{3}=2y{y'}^{}$$

Got stumped on this one answer was complicated...

You're almost there. Write $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sqrt{2\,x\,y} = \sqrt{2} \, x^{\frac{1}{2}} \, y ^{\frac{1}{2}} \end{align*}$, then you can use the product rule to differentiate it.

$$u'v+vu'$$
$$\sqrt{2xy} \ '=\frac{\sqrt{2x}}{2\sqrt{y}}y'+\sqrt{2y}$$
Sorta?

I have moved this thread since our "Calculus" forum is a better fit.

Oops, I thot it was in calculus??

karush said:
Oops, I thot it was in calculus??

You overshot by one forum and went to "Business Mathematics" instead. :D

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{\mathrm d}{\mathrm dx}\sqrt{2xy}=\dfrac{\mathrm d}{\mathrm dx}(2xy)^{1/2}=\dfrac12(2xy)^{-1/2}\cdot\dfrac{\mathrm d}{\mathrm dx}(2xy)\)

Last edited:
greg1313 said:
\(\displaystyle \dfrac{\mathrm d}{\mathrm dx}\sqrt{2xy}=\dfrac{\mathrm d}{\mathrm dx}(2xy)^{1/2}=\dfrac12(2xy)\cdot\dfrac{\mathrm d}{\mathrm dx}(2xy)\)

Is this the product rule?

It's the chain rule. Use the product rule to complete the differentiation.

Or you could just follow my advice, thereby you can avoid the chain rule altogether...

Prove It said:
Or you could just follow my advice, thereby you can avoid the chain rule altogether...

You would still need the chain rule...but I know what you mean. :D

Is post #3 correct?

MarkFL said:
You would still need the chain rule...but I know what you mean. :D

Only on the y term :P

My post (#7) contains an error. It should be

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{\mathrm d}{\mathrm dx}\sqrt{2xy}=\dfrac{\mathrm d}{\mathrm dx}(2xy)^{1/2}=\dfrac12(2xy)^{-1/2}\cdot\dfrac{\mathrm d}{\mathrm dx}(2xy)\)

Sorry about the confusion.

$$
\displaystyle \dfrac{\mathrm d}{\mathrm dx}\sqrt{2xy}
=\dfrac{\mathrm d}{\mathrm dx}(2xy)^{1/2}
=\dfrac12(2xy)^{-1/2}\cdot\dfrac{\mathrm d}{\mathrm dx}(2xy)
$$

so could this be rewritten as
$$\left[\frac{\sqrt{2xy}}{2}\right]y'$$

No. You need to differentiate implicitly with respect to \(\displaystyle x\). Use the product rule on \(\displaystyle 2xy\) (and the chain rule on \(\displaystyle y\)). Don't forget to post all of your work.

\(\displaystyle \dfrac12(2xy)^{-1/2}=\dfrac{1}{2\sqrt{2xy}}\)

It may very well be easier to use the method outlined by Prove It. Again, show all of your work.

$$\d{}{x}\left(2xy\right)=2\left(xy'\left(x\right)+y\right)$$

Why do you have the \(\displaystyle x\) in brackets there? Remove that and you have the correct result.

Related to Implicit differentiation

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a method used in calculus to find the derivative of a function that is not explicitly written in the form of y = f(x). It is commonly used when the function is given implicitly as an equation involving both x and y.

2. How is implicit differentiation different from explicit differentiation?

Explicit differentiation involves finding the derivative of a function that is written explicitly in the form of y = f(x). In implicit differentiation, the function is not explicitly written in this form and the derivative is found using the chain rule.

3. When is implicit differentiation used?

Implicit differentiation is used when the derivative of a function cannot be easily found using explicit differentiation. It is particularly useful for finding the derivative of functions that are given implicitly or in a more complex form.

4. What is the process for using implicit differentiation?

The process for using implicit differentiation involves differentiating both sides of the equation with respect to x, using the chain rule when necessary. This will result in an equation with dy/dx on one side, which can then be solved for the derivative.

5. What are some applications of implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation has many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to find the slope of a curve, determine the rate of change of a variable, and optimize functions in real-world problems.