Temperature Hotter at Top of Bulb - Why?

• Thread starter sheikhfahad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hot
In summary, the temperature of the surface will be hotter at the top of the bulb rather than on the sides due to the tungsten filament evaporating more rapidly at higher temperatures and depositing on the glass envelope, causing an increase in light absorption. This will eventually cause the filament to break and end the life of the lamp. The relationship between power and temperature is being investigated, but without a detailed description of the apparatus, methods, and goals, it is difficult to predict the exact graph of power and temperature. Please use a single thread for all questions.
sheikhfahad
CAn you tell me why will the temperature of the surface will be hotter at the top on the blub rathen than on the side?
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
No, we cannot tell you why the top might be hotter then the sides. Why? Simply because you have not provided enough information to even guess. If you want meaningful help with this project you will need to post a detailed discription of your appratus, your methods and your goals.

Further, I would appreciate it if you would use a single thread rather then starting a new one for each question.

Thanks,
Integral

alright i am sorry

Integral said:
No, we cannot tell you why the top might be hotter then the sides. Why? Simply because you have not provided enough information to even guess. If you want meaningful help with this project you will need to post a detailed discription of your appratus, your methods and your goals.

Further, I would appreciate it if you would use a single thread rather then starting a new one for each question.

Thanks,
Integral

Is it because "The tungsten filament evaporates more rapidly as the temperature of the filament goes up. The evaporated tungsten particles tend to deposit on the glass envelope, causing over time, an increase in light absorption. Eventually, the filament material will evaporate enough to cause the filament to break, completely ending the life of the lamp."

i am doing an investigation to find the relationship between power and temperature?

need to find the surface temperature, also can u tell me how the graph would look like for the power and temperature. will it be as power increase the temperature decrease?

thanks and i am sorry for the 2 post

1. Why is the temperature hotter at the top of a bulb?

The temperature at the top of a bulb is hotter because of the behavior of gases. As a gas is heated, its molecules gain more energy and move faster, causing them to spread out and expand. This expansion causes the molecules to rise and accumulate at the top of the bulb, creating a higher concentration of molecules and therefore a higher temperature.

2. Is the temperature difference consistent in all types of bulbs?

No, the temperature difference between the top and bottom of a bulb can vary depending on the type of gas used in the bulb. Different gases have different molecular weights and behaviors, which can affect the rate of expansion and therefore the temperature difference.

3. Does the shape of the bulb affect the temperature difference?

Yes, the shape of the bulb can also impact the temperature difference. A bulb with a larger surface area at the top will have a greater temperature difference compared to a bulb with a smaller surface area. This is because a larger surface area allows for more molecules to accumulate and therefore a higher concentration and temperature at the top.

4. Can the temperature at the top of a bulb be controlled?

Yes, the temperature at the top of a bulb can be controlled by adjusting the gas pressure and volume within the bulb. By manipulating these factors, the rate of expansion and the resulting temperature difference can be altered.

5. Are there any practical applications for this phenomenon?

Yes, this phenomenon is utilized in various scientific and industrial applications. For example, it is used in thermometers to measure temperature, in gas discharge lamps to produce light, and in hot air balloons to generate lift. Understanding the behavior of gases and temperature differences in bulbs is essential in these and many other processes.