Implicit Differentiation: Finding Points on an Ellipse Tangent to a Box

In summary: The slope of the line x+2y= 0 at (x, y) is -x/2y so is undefined where x= 2 and y= 0 or x= -2 and y= 0. I am not sure whether you are asking for a proof that the largest rectangle that can be inscribed in an ellipse has sides parallel to the axes or whether you are asking for a proof that the largest rectangle that can be inscribed in the ellipse x2/a2+ y2/b2= 1 has sides parallel to the axes. If the latter, then you can just look at the picture and see that it is true but, if the former, then we might need a proof.
ACLerok
My TA did not get the chance to go over this problem. I know that I'm supposed to differentiate both sides of the equation. But I have not the slightest idea what to do after that. I was told that I am supposed to get out 4 points that lie on the ellipse and the sides of the box are tangent to the ellipse. Also, the horizontal lines have a slope of 0 but as for the vertical lines, i don't know. So how should I solve this problem? after differentiating, am i supposed to solve for y' or y? Any hints or tips? Thanks alot!

http://www.eden.rutgers.edu/~cjjacob/images/workshop6.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the equation of a vertical line? What does its derivative look like?

Originally posted by Hurkyl
What is the equation of a vertical line? What does its derivative look like?
is the equation of a vert. line x= something? is the derivative undef?

Yes. dy/dx = undefined corresponds to a vertical line. Remember that slope is rise over run. A vertical line has infinite rise and zero run, so m = (infinity)/0 = undefined.

cookiemonster

s the equation of a vert. line x= something? is the derivative undef?

The equation is right. The assertion is not.

If we have the equation x = a (for some constant a), then if we differentiate we get x' = 0.

(This problem is much easier if your differentiations are with respect to some unnamed third variable, instead of differentiating with respect to x)

edit: fixed my quoting problems.

Last edited:
so let me get this straight. in order to do this problem, you differentiate both sides of the equation with respect to x and y is a functin of x. then you solve for y'=0 for the vert tangent lines of the ellipse and y'= something else for the horizontal tangent lines? can you help guide me through this please? this thing is due tomorrow!

What -I- would do (essentially) is differentiate with respect to some unnamed third variable.

Then, since horizontal lines are y = a (for some a), I'm looking for y' = 0 to get the horizontal ones. Since vertical lines are x = b (for some b), I'm looking for x' = 0 to get vertical ones.

Cookiemonster was suggesting you look for y' = undefined.

(note, though, if x' and y' are both 0, we have a singularity and can't tell what the corresponding tangent line, if any, would be)

I think Hurkyl's response could be a little misleading. The equation x= 1 says that x is a constant and so, thinking of x as a function of some other variable, the derivative of x with respect to that other variable is 0. In this case, we are looking for a point on the graph at which the figure has a vertical tangent. A vertical line has undefined slope and so the derivative of y with respect to x must be undefined.

In this particular case, the equation is x2- xy+ y2= 3.

"Implicit differentiation" gives 2x- y+ xy'+ 2yy'= 0 or
y'(x+2y)= y- 2x. The derivative will be 0 when y- 2x= 0 or y= 2x.
Since x and y satisfy x2- xy+ y2= 3, replacing x with y/2, this becomes y2/4- 2y2/4+ y2= 32/4= 3 and so y= 2 or -2. When y= 2, x2- xy+ y2= x2- 2x+ 4= 3 or x2-2y+ 1= (x-1)2= 0 so x= 1. When y= -2, x2- xy+ y2= x2+ 2x+ 4= 3 or x2+ 2x+ 1= (x+1)2= 0 so x= -1. The horizontal tangents are at (1, 2) and (-1, -2), and so the top and bottom of the rectangle are y= 2 and y= -2 respectively.

y' is undefined when x+2y= 0. Because of the symmetry, it should be clear that the two sides of the rectangle are at x= 2 and x= -2.

Originally posted by HallsofIvy
y' is undefined when x+2y= 0. Because of the symmetry, it should be clear that the two sides of the rectangle are at x= 2 and x= -2.

can you just explain and justify this statement. I understand the entire problem except this one line kind of confuses just a wee bit.. Thanks to all of you guys!

We got, by implicit differentiation: y'(x+2y)= y- 2x.
Then y'= (y-2x)/(x+2y) which does not exist if the denominator
x+2y= 0. My remark about "symmetry" was based on the fact that we had just shown that when y'= 0, y- 2x= 0 gives y= 2 and -2 as upper and lower bounds.

The original equation was x2- xy+ y2= 3 which is "symmetric" in x and y. Clearly, using x+ 2y= 0 instead of y- 2x= 0 will give exactly the same results but with -x in place of y.

If that is not clear to you, go ahead an substitute 2y in place of x in the equation x2- xy+ y2= 4y2- 2y2+ y2= 3y2= 3 gives y= +/- 1 just as before we had x= +/- 1. Putting y= +1 into x+2y= 0 gives x= -2, putting y= -1 into x+ 2y= 0 gives x= 2. The bounding rectangle is the square bounded by x= 2, x= -2, y= 2, and y= -2.

Related to Implicit Differentiation: Finding Points on an Ellipse Tangent to a Box

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of an equation in cases where the dependent variable cannot be easily isolated. It is commonly used in calculus to find the slope of a curve at a specific point.

2. How is implicit differentiation different from regular differentiation?

In regular differentiation, the equation is usually in the form of y = f(x), where y is the dependent variable and x is the independent variable. In implicit differentiation, the equation is usually in the form of f(x,y) = 0, where both x and y are dependent variables. This makes it necessary to use the chain rule and the product rule in implicit differentiation.

3. What are the steps for performing implicit differentiation?

The steps for performing implicit differentiation are as follows:1. Differentiate both sides of the equation with respect to the independent variable.2. Use the chain rule and the product rule as needed.3. Group the terms with the derivative of the dependent variable on one side of the equation.4. Solve for the derivative of the dependent variable.

4. Why is implicit differentiation useful?

Implicit differentiation allows us to find the derivative of an equation even when the dependent variable cannot be easily isolated. This is especially useful in cases where the equation is complex and cannot be solved for y explicitly. It is also useful in finding the slope of a curve at a specific point, which is important in many real-world applications.

5. Are there any limitations to implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation may not always work when the equation is very complex or when it involves multiple variables. It also does not give us the exact value of the derivative, but rather an expression for it. In some cases, it may be more efficient to use other techniques such as logarithmic differentiation or the quotient rule.