Implications of the no-clone theorem

• Thread starter carllacan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the no-cloning theorem states that a cloning operator can only copy orthogonal states, and if we try to use it on non-orthogonal states, it will result in an entangled state. This has consequences, such as the impossibility of distinguishing between non-orthogonal states and the possibility of using a cloning device to distinguish between non-orthogonal states.
carllacan
Hi.

I'm struggling to understand the no-cloning theorem and its consequences. It says that if we construct a cloning operator U it will be able to just copy orthogonal states, but I don't fully grasp what is meant by that, both abstractly and practically. My questions:

1) Does it mean that if we construct a device that implements said operator it will only be successful when the input state is one of a given set of states (different for every such device, and dependent on its mechanism) that are orthogonal to one another? What would happen if we used the device with another state, say one that is a linear combination of two of such states?

2) Tthere's an exercise on Nielsen's book that asks me to show that a device that could distinguish between non-orthogonal states (that is, it can tell if a system is in the state ##|\psi \rangle ## or the state ##|\phi \rangle## even when ## \langle\psi | \phi \rangle ≠ 0##) then it could clone general states, and viceversa. The only solution I've come up with is:

If we had a way of distinguishing non-orthogonal states we could use it to find out what state a system is in and then prepare another qubit in the same state, thus cloning it. Conversely, if we had a general cloning device we could clone a qubit a large number of times and then perform measurements on all its copies to find what state is in. Both these answers seem kind of "inelegant" to me, and I'm not even sure there are correct. Is there any cleaner solution to this problem?

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Yes.
As for what happens for non-orthogonal states, suppose ##|\psi \rangle, |\phi \rangle## are orthogonal states that can be cloned to a "blank" state ##|0\rangle## with a device ##U##. Then
$$ U(|\psi \rangle + |\phi \rangle)|0\rangle = |\psi\rangle |\psi \rangle + |\phi \rangle |\phi \rangle $$
which is an entangled state hence can't be the product state of two copies of ##|\psi \rangle + |\phi \rangle## that we want. This generalizes to an arbitrary linear combination of the orthogonal states.

2) That's right.

I don't see what is bad about the argument. It doesn't require any calculation.

Likes carllacan
Truecrimson said:
1) Yes.
As for what happens for non-orthogonal states, suppose ##|\psi \rangle, |\phi \rangle## are orthogonal states that can be cloned to a "blank" state ##|0\rangle## with a device ##U##. Then
$$ U(|\psi \rangle + |\phi \rangle)|0\rangle = |\psi\rangle |\psi \rangle + |\phi \rangle |\phi \rangle $$
which is an entangled state hence can't be the product state of two copies of ##|\psi \rangle + |\phi \rangle## that we want. This generalizes to an arbitrary linear combination of the orthogonal states.

Great, thank you for your answer.

Related to Implications of the no-clone theorem

1. What is the no-clone theorem?

The no-clone theorem, also known as the no-cloning principle, is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that states it is impossible to create an identical copy of an unknown quantum state.

2. How does the no-clone theorem impact cloning technology?

The no-clone theorem has significant implications for cloning technology as it prohibits the creation of an exact copy of a quantum state. This means that it is not possible to clone a person or any other object at a quantum level.

3. What are the practical applications of the no-clone theorem?

The no-clone theorem has implications for various fields, including cryptography, quantum computing, and quantum communication. It ensures the security of quantum encryption methods and prevents the creation of counterfeit quantum objects.

4. Is the no-clone theorem a proven theory?

Yes, the no-clone theorem has been proven through experiments and mathematical proofs. It is a widely accepted principle in quantum mechanics and is essential in understanding the behavior of quantum systems.

5. Are there any exceptions to the no-clone theorem?

No, the no-clone theorem holds true in all cases and has not been found to have any exceptions. It is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and is considered to be a law of nature.