Implementing f(w1,w2,w3) Using 3-to-8 Binary Decoder & OR Gate

• MHB
  • Thread starter shamieh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Binary
In summary, the function f(w1,w2,w3,) = Ʃm(0,1,2,4,7) can be implemented using a 3-to-8 binary decoder and an OR gate. To remove the AND gates, one can look at a MUX built using a decoder and figure out how to simplify the circuit. However, definitions and explanations of these concepts are needed for further assistance.
shamieh
Show how the function f(w1,w2,w3,) = Ʃm(0,1,2,4,7) can be implemented using a 3-to-8 binary decoder and an OR gate (hint: look at MUX built using a decoder and figure out how to remove the and gates.

Um. Yea. Help.(Speechless)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, you've got beyond my personal knowledge of circuits. If there is somebody more knowledgeable on this forum, fine. Otherwise, I am afraid I can't help you with definitions. If you want help, you'll have to provide definitions of new concepts (in this case: binary decoder and MUX) and briefly explain what kind of beast they are. Then I can only help with common mathematical sense.

Ok I will see what I can do.

so I figured out how to get the function or the output. But Now I don't know hwo they are getting the outupt

- - - Updated - - -

how would i minimize w!w3! + w2w3! + w1!w2

Related to Implementing f(w1,w2,w3) Using 3-to-8 Binary Decoder & OR Gate

1. What is the purpose of using a 3-to-8 binary decoder and OR gate to implement f(w1,w2,w3)?

The 3-to-8 binary decoder and OR gate are used to create a logic circuit that can convert three input signals (w1, w2, w3) into a single output signal. This is useful for implementing complex Boolean functions, such as f(w1,w2,w3), which can be broken down into simpler logic gates using the decoder and OR gate.

2. How does the 3-to-8 binary decoder work?

The 3-to-8 binary decoder takes three input signals and uses them to select one out of eight output lines. Each input signal represents a binary number with a possible value of 0 or 1. By using different combinations of these three input signals, the decoder can select any of the eight output lines, allowing for a wide range of possible outputs.

3. What is the role of the OR gate in this implementation?

The OR gate is used to combine the outputs of the 3-to-8 binary decoder into a single output signal. This gate performs a logical operation where the output is true (1) if any of the inputs are true (1). This is essential for creating the desired output for f(w1,w2,w3) as it allows for the combination of multiple outputs from the decoder.

4. What are the advantages of using a 3-to-8 binary decoder and OR gate for implementing f(w1,w2,w3)?

Using a 3-to-8 binary decoder and OR gate allows for a more efficient and compact implementation of f(w1,w2,w3) compared to using individual logic gates. It also simplifies the design process and reduces the number of components needed, making it a cost-effective solution.

5. Are there any limitations to using a 3-to-8 binary decoder and OR gate for implementing f(w1,w2,w3)?

One limitation is that the number of inputs and outputs is fixed at three and eight, respectively. This means that it may not be suitable for more complex functions with a larger number of inputs. Additionally, the decoder and OR gate can only perform specific logic operations, so it may not be suitable for all types of Boolean functions.