Implement XNOR using NAND gates ?

• Thread starter rclakmal
  • Start date
In summary, the minimum number of NAND gates required to implement XOR is 10. This includes 2 NAND gates for inverting A and B, 4 NAND gates for the two AND gates, 3 NAND gates for the final OR gate, and an additional NAND gate for implementing XNOR. However, for the given multiple choice question, the correct answer would be d) 6, as three NAND gates can be combined to produce the double AND plus OR function, and the rest are just needed for the invert operations. Additional ideas can be found on Wikipedia.
rclakmal
what is minimum number of NAND gates to implement XOR?
i thought it in this way .first i found how many NAND gates are need to to implement XOR .
if the two input it 'A' nd 'B'
then
XOR function =A'B+AB'
so i need two NAND gates to invert A and B
then for two AND gates i need another 4 NAND gates as each AND gate need 2 NAND gates .
then for final OR gate i need another 3 NAND gate .
so this will give the XOR function .To make it XNOR i need another NAND gate

so total number of NAND gates=2+4+3+1=10

but in my MCQ question it has only
a)3 b)4 c)5 d)6

i don't how to implement XNOR in one of above answers ,totally by NAND gates .can somebody help me ?
Thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
Three NAND gates can be combined to produce the double AND plus OR function. The rest are just those required for the invert operations.

ok thnaks !and i found some good ideas from wikepedia also !

Related to Implement XNOR using NAND gates ?

1. How can I implement XNOR using NAND gates?

To implement XNOR using NAND gates, you will need to use multiple NAND gates in a specific arrangement. First, connect two NAND gates in series to create a NOT gate. Then, connect two NOT gates in parallel to create an AND gate. Finally, connect two AND gates in series to create an OR gate. This combination of NAND gates will produce an XNOR gate.

2. What is the benefit of implementing XNOR using NAND gates?

The main benefit of implementing XNOR using NAND gates is that it requires fewer gates compared to other logic gates, such as NOR gates. This can save space and cost in circuit design.

3. Can I implement XNOR using NAND gates in any digital circuit?

Yes, XNOR gates implemented using NAND gates can be used in any digital circuit, as long as the circuit has access to the necessary NAND gates. However, it is important to consider the logic levels and voltage requirements of the circuit to ensure proper functioning.

4. Is there a difference in performance between XNOR gates implemented using NAND gates and other logic gates?

No, there is no difference in performance between XNOR gates implemented using NAND gates and other logic gates. As long as the gates are properly connected and have the correct input and output voltages, they will function the same.

5. Are there any limitations to implementing XNOR using NAND gates?

The main limitation of implementing XNOR using NAND gates is that it can become complex and require more gates if multiple inputs are needed. In these cases, it may be more efficient to use other logic gates such as XOR gates. Additionally, NAND gates have a higher propagation delay compared to other logic gates, which can affect the overall speed of the circuit.