Impedance matching and Smith diagram.

In summary: It looks correct. You can find a more detailed explanation of how to solve this problem in the book Microwave Engineering by David Pozar.I have asked my instructor for clarification on the "cutoff stubs" and it appears the question asks for a way to realize Z2 and Y1 using two stubs which have a cutoff at their extremities, i.e. zero admittance.
peripatein
May I pose a question concerning impedance matching and Smith diagrams?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you don't have a hurry i can take look.

I'd certainly be grateful :-).
Please see attached diagram. The question reads as follows:
In order to match (impedance wise) a transmission line without any losses to a load with impedance ZL the matching network is used, as shown in the diagram attached. Both Z2 and Y1 in the diagram are pure imaginary and connected in parallel and in series (as shown) to a transmission line of length d. It is stated that the matching network cannot match a load with admittance whose real part is greater than 1.6. I am then asked to use a Smith chart to determine the possible values of d. I did that, hopefully successfully, and obtained d=0.133λ, 0.383λ. The question then states the possible values of d to be d1=0.4λ and d2=0.1λ. The normalized Y1 and Z2 of the network are also given, as Y1=1.2j and Z2=1.2j. At this point I am asked to find all the possible values of the normalized admittance YL for which a perfect matching is obtained at point A in the diagram.
I am not really sure how to determine that using the Smith chart. I have tried writing the following equation, but I am not sure it'd get me somewhere:
YinA=1=Y2+YinT+Y1+YL, all normalized of course and where YinT refers to the transmission line.
I'd appreciate some guidance.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 500
I try to solve for d=0.1λ. If it is correct you can follow same procedure.

Firts, if there is a match, impedance of point A should be 1.
Now, we can find impedance of point B(please check attachments).
ZB=ZA-Z2=1-1.2j

Now, show this impedance on the chart. Wave length of this point is 0.168λ(towards the load). If we turn 0.1λ towards the load we can find impedance of point C.

ZC=3+1.8j . YC=(1)/(ZC)

YC=0.311-0.083j
YC=YL+Y1
YL=0.311-1.28j

I hope this is helpful :)

Attachments

• WP_20141213_001.jpg
    WP_20141213_001.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 520
  • WP_20141213_002.jpg
    WP_20141213_002.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 553
Would it please be possible for you to take better shots of the two sheets (calculations+chart)? It is very difficult to read them.

I'm sorry about the pics. Here, i hope it is better

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 553
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 548
It looks great, thank you so, so much!
The last section of the question says that Y1 and Z2 are now implemented via cutoff stubs of length l1 and l2 respectively. I am asked to find the shortest lengths. What are cutoff stubs? Are they stubs with cutoff at their extremity (instead of, let's say, short)?

I don't know what is a cutoff stub. For double stub matching you can check the book Microwave Engineering by David Pozar.

I have asked my instructor for clarification on the "cutoff stubs" and it appears the question asks for a way to realize Z2 and Y1 using two stubs which have a cutoff at their extremities, i.e. zero admittance. I hence tried to move towards the generator along the circle r=0 from the leftmost extremity in the chart (where Y=0) to Y1 (=1.2j). The distance was found to be 0.14λ. I then moved along the same path until I reached Y2=-0.83j, a distance equal to 0.39λ. I therefore concluded that these should be the lengths of the stubs used in order to realize Z2 and Y1. Does that seem correct to you (my approach and numerical values obtained)?

Related to Impedance matching and Smith diagram.

1. What is impedance matching and why is it important?

Impedance matching is the process of adjusting the impedance of a circuit or device to match the impedance of the source or load. This is important because it ensures maximum power transfer and minimizes signal reflection, which can cause signal distortion and loss.

2. How is impedance matching achieved?

Impedance matching can be achieved through the use of passive components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors, or through active components such as amplifiers. The goal is to adjust the values of these components to match the impedance of the circuit to the desired value.

3. What is a Smith diagram and how is it used in impedance matching?

A Smith diagram is a graphical tool used to represent complex impedance values on a polar coordinate system. It is commonly used in impedance matching to visualize the impedance of a circuit and determine the necessary adjustments to achieve matching. It can also be used to determine the reflection coefficient and standing wave ratio of a circuit.

4. What are the benefits of impedance matching?

The main benefit of impedance matching is the efficient transfer of power between a source and a load. This results in better performance and less signal distortion. Additionally, impedance matching can help prevent damage to components and reduce interference from other circuits.

5. Can impedance matching be applied to all types of circuits?

Yes, impedance matching can be applied to all types of circuits, including AC and DC circuits, as well as RF circuits. However, the methods and components used may differ depending on the type of circuit and the frequency range of the signals.