Impedance as seen across two terminals

• Thread starter anthonych414
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impedance
In summary, the conversation discusses determining the impedance between terminals 'ab' in a circuit with inductances of j10, resistances of 10, and capacitances of -j12. The proposed solution involves calculating the equivalent impedance of parallel connections of the components, resulting in an answer of 540/37 + 90j/37 Ω. However, there is a possibility that the component values in the question were changed without updating the given answer.
anthonych414

Homework Statement

All the inductances in Figure P8.2.10 are j10, all the resistances are 10, and all the capacitances are -j12 . Determine the impedance between terminals 'ab'.

Ans. 27 + j9

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured I should add up the impedances of the capacitors on the left and divide by 2, doing the same for the inductors and the resistors, then finding the equivalent impedance of the parallel connection of the resistors/inductors/capacitors. I keep getting an answer of 540/37 + 90j/37 Ω. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Attachments

• pf.png
    pf.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 444
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer looks correct to me. Maybe they changed component values in the question but didn't update their answer.

Your solution looks correct.

ehild

Related to Impedance as seen across two terminals

What is impedance?

Impedance is a measure of the resistance to the flow of an alternating current through a circuit. It is represented by the symbol Z and is measured in ohms.

How is impedance calculated?

Impedance is calculated by dividing the voltage across a component by the current flowing through it. This can be done using Ohm's law, which states that impedance (Z) equals voltage (V) divided by current (I), or Z = V/I.

What is the difference between impedance and resistance?

Impedance and resistance both refer to the opposition to the flow of current in a circuit, but they are not the same. Resistance is a measure of the opposition to the flow of direct current, while impedance is a measure of the opposition to the flow of alternating current. Impedance also takes into account the effects of capacitance and inductance in a circuit, while resistance does not.

Why is impedance important in electrical circuits?

Impedance is important in electrical circuits because it determines the amount of current that can flow through a circuit. It also affects the voltage and current in a circuit, and can be used to control the flow of current or to match the impedance of different components in a circuit.

How does impedance affect the performance of audio equipment?

In audio equipment, impedance plays a crucial role in the transfer of signals and the quality of sound. Matching the impedance of audio components, such as speakers and amplifiers, ensures that the maximum power is transferred and that the sound quality is not affected. Mismatched impedance can result in distorted or weak sound output.