Impact Parameter of Alpha Particle Rutherford

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the impact parameter in the Rutherford scattering experiment. The formula used is b= (rmin/2)cot(theta/2) where rmin = Z1Z2e^2/4piEok and the energy is converted to the correct unit. However, there seems to be a discrepancy in the final answer.
PhatPartie
In the Rutherford scattering experiment a very thin gold foil target is bombarded with a beam of a particles of known kinetic energy. A detector which can be moved on a circle around the target counts the scattered particles. What was the impact parameter of a 4.57 MeV a particle if it was detected at 52.4 degree angle?

Im using b= (rmin/2)cot(theta/2) where rmin = Z1Z2e^2/4piEok

so i have ((2)(79)(1.6*10^-19 c)^2 / (4.57 *10^6 eV)(1.6*10^-9 J/eV) ) * 8.99*10^9 Jm/c ...and got 3.46 *10^-15 is this right so far? ...i got 8.99*10^9 by (1/4piEo) ...thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The order of magnitude for r_{min} is good,indeed there is fermi/femtometer.Compute "b" now...

Daniel.

i then get an answe of 3.52 *10^-15 m ...but this is not the correct answer ... i don't know what i did wrong

Devious...Make sure you insert correct numerical values.The energy (which is supposed to be in the denominator) is 4.57MeV=4.57*1.6*10^{6}*10^{-19}J...

Daniel.

Related to Impact Parameter of Alpha Particle Rutherford

1. What is the impact parameter of an alpha particle in Rutherford scattering?

The impact parameter of an alpha particle in Rutherford scattering is the distance between the initial path of the alpha particle and the center of the target nucleus.

2. How is the impact parameter related to the scattering angle in Rutherford scattering?

The impact parameter is directly related to the scattering angle in Rutherford scattering. As the impact parameter decreases, the scattering angle increases.

3. What is the significance of the impact parameter in Rutherford scattering?

The impact parameter is significant because it determines the strength of the electrostatic repulsion between the alpha particle and the target nucleus, which in turn affects the scattering angle.

4. How does the impact parameter affect the trajectory of the alpha particle in Rutherford scattering?

The impact parameter determines the closest distance between the alpha particle and the target nucleus during the scattering process. A smaller impact parameter results in a more deflected trajectory for the alpha particle.

5. How is the impact parameter calculated in Rutherford scattering?

The impact parameter can be calculated using the Rutherford scattering formula, which takes into account the charge of the alpha particle, the charge of the target nucleus, and the kinetic energy of the alpha particle.