Impact Detection: Find an IC & Shock Sensor Solution

In summary, the conversation is about a person's difficulty in finding a product that can detect shock. They mention finding Toshiba ICs but needing a shock sensor to use them. They ask for help in finding a product and someone suggests a website as a starting point. The original person thanks them but admits they have already come across it. The conversation shifts to finding a fancy hydrophone and the original person expresses frustration with not being able to find one with a price listed. They eventually find a website that sells expensive needle hydrophones.
Number2Pencil
Hello. I'm having the hardest time finding a product (preferably an IC) that can detect shock. Like if you dropped your phone on the ground it would detect an impact with the floor, with some kind of threshold to ignore minor bumps and thumps. I did find some toshiba ICs called "shock detector ICs" but in every datasheet it specified in the schematics that you had to add a "shock sensor" between the pins...and i failed at finding THESE shock sensors too..

Can anyone point me in the right direction?? I'd appreciate it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Here's a starting point.
http://www.althensensors.com/products/index.subgroupdetails.php?ID=25&MGID=19"
There are a lot of other sources out there as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL. thanks Danger. I actually came across this many times in my search...but "accelerometer" in my mind implied something completely different. I guess I need to expand my vocabulary.

OK, need more helping locating a product :(

I need to find a fancy hydrophone online that has a price tag. and by fancy i mean expensive. I've been searching but I can't find one with a labeled price tag. I can't call and ask the company because everywhere is closed for Friday night, but I really need this information by tonight.

thanks anyone who helps!

I'm afraid that I can be of no use for that. If you can't find anything with all of that Googling, I probably won't be able to either. Sorry.

PHEW. I finally found some. I honestly wish companies would just put the prices on the website. Thinking "that's too much!" isn't going to change after I go through the process of making a pricing request...

if anyone is searching for some expensive needle hydrophones:

http://www.acoustics.co.uk/products/needle

Related to Impact Detection: Find an IC & Shock Sensor Solution

1. What is impact detection and why is it important?

Impact detection is the ability to sense and measure the force of an impact on an object. This is important in various industries such as automotive, aerospace, and consumer electronics to ensure safety and prevent damage to equipment or devices.

2. What is an IC and how does it function in impact detection?

An IC, or integrated circuit, is a small electronic component that contains multiple electronic circuits on a single chip. In impact detection, an IC is used to process signals from a shock sensor and convert them into meaningful data.

3. What is a shock sensor and how does it detect impact?

A shock sensor is an electronic device that converts the force of an impact into an electrical signal. It typically contains a piezoelectric material that produces a voltage when subjected to mechanical stress, such as an impact. This voltage is then amplified and processed by an IC to determine the magnitude and direction of the impact.

4. What factors should be considered when choosing an IC and shock sensor for impact detection?

When choosing an IC and shock sensor for impact detection, factors such as sensitivity, frequency response, power consumption, and size should be considered. The application and environment in which the impact detection will be used should also be taken into account.

5. Are there any alternative methods for impact detection besides using an IC and shock sensor?

Yes, there are alternative methods for impact detection such as using accelerometers or strain gauges. However, ICs and shock sensors are commonly used because they offer a compact and cost-effective solution with high accuracy and sensitivity.