Can someone show me how to do this dynamics question?

• Thread starter Bebop
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
In summary, the system is released from rest and the tension in the string is found to be 9 Newtons. The string covers a distance of 1.5 meters in the first two seconds of motion.
Bebop
I've been doing this question for a while but I can't seem to get the right answere. I end up with three unknowns and I can't see what I'm doing wrong.

Two particles A and B, of mass 8kg and 10kg respectively are connected by a light inextensible string which passes over a light smooth pulley P. Particle b rests on a smooth horizontal table and particle A rests on a smooth plane inclined at 30 degrees to the horizontal with the string taut and perpendicular to the line of intersection of the table and the plane as shown below.
The system is released from rest.
a) Find the magnitude of the acceleration of particle B
b) Find, in Newtons, the tension in the string.
c) Find the distance covered by B in the first two seconds of motion, given B does not reach the pulley.

Attachments

• Mechanics.JPG
    Mechanics.JPG
    3.6 KB · Views: 426
Physics news on Phys.org
i)
Since the string is given to be inextensible, the magnitude of the accelerations of A og B must be the same; otherwise, the string would either contract or lengthen.

ii) The tension in the spring is equal in magnitude at all points on the spring.

Hence, you have basically two unknowns, particle acceleration and tension.

Oh yes, I was stupid enough not to realize that the table was smooth so I though there was friction acting as well.

That wasn't a stupid reasoning from your side!
I think however, that if friction were intended to be included, the exercise would have given a value for the kinematic friction coefficient.(Otherwise, you wouldn't have been able to solve the problem..)

Three unknowns: well actually you have three knowns .. the forces on the block on the incline .. they must sum to zero, then solve for acceleration.
F1=gsintheta, F2=-m1a F3=-m2a=T

Best

flexten said:
Three unknowns: well actually you have three knowns .. the forces on the block on the incline .. they must sum to zero, then solve for acceleration.
F1=gsintheta, F2=-m1a F3=-m2a=T

Best

If you want to count every conceivable "unkown" in the problem, you've got 8:

2 vectorial particle accelerations (A total of 4 unknowns)
2 magnitudes of normal forces
2 tensile force magnitudes, each acting on a distinct block.

1. How do I solve a dynamics question?

Solving a dynamics question involves understanding the principles of Newton's laws of motion and applying them to the given problem. You will need to identify all the forces acting on the system, use the equations of motion to find the acceleration, and then use the kinematic equations to find the final answer.

2. What are the key concepts I should know for solving a dynamics question?

Some key concepts to know for solving a dynamics question include Newton's three laws of motion, the concepts of force, mass, and acceleration, and the kinematic equations that relate these quantities. It is also important to have a good understanding of vectors and how they apply to motion in different directions.

3. Can you walk me through an example of solving a dynamics question?

Sure! Let's say we have a block of mass 5 kg on a frictionless surface, with a force of 10 N pushing it to the right. We can use Newton's second law (F=ma) to find the acceleration: a = F/m = 10 N / 5 kg = 2 m/s^2. Then, using the kinematic equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as, we can find the final velocity of the block after 3 seconds (assuming it starts from rest): v = sqrt(u^2 + 2as) = sqrt(0 + 2*2*3) = 3.46 m/s.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a dynamics question?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a dynamics question include forgetting to include all the forces acting on the system, not correctly identifying the direction of the forces, and using incorrect or incomplete equations. It is also important to be consistent with units and pay attention to sign conventions.

5. Can you recommend any resources for further practice with dynamics questions?

There are many online resources and textbooks available for practicing dynamics questions. Some recommended resources include Khan Academy's physics course, "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, and "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker. It can also be helpful to work through practice problems and seek assistance from a tutor or study group if needed.