Imitating ice for room-temp experiments

In summary, the conversation discusses ideas for simulating extraction methods for asteroid mining, specifically using centripetal force to separate materials based on their density. The focus is on finding materials that are solid at room temperature but have a similar density to ice, such as plastic and wood. The possibility of using small uniform spheres or manipulating the shape of objects is also mentioned.
frankdoc
Hello!

I'm trying to come up with ideas for ways to simulate extraction methods for asteroid mining. I've got a few ideas based off of internet & database searches, and have an idea I'd like to work on. It involves the separation of materials using centripetal force. Materials would separate into layers based off of their density, right?

The first thing that I'd like to try to separate is ice from the rest of the mined material. I'm looking for materials that are solid at room temperature but have a similar density to ice. Any suggestions?

Any suggestions for other aspects of the experiment would be appreciated as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
Presumably the idea is to centrifuge the mix until the increased pressure melts the ice?

frankdoc said:
Materials would separate into layers based off of their density, right?
If they are liquids, gases or you have some other way to keep them in motion (maybe air flow inside?). If you just take some dirt and whirl it around, it will not separate into anything.

I'm looking for materials that are solid at room temperature but have a similar density to ice.
Plastic (especially LDPE) and wood, see Wikipedia.

Is there some way to make the material more fluid so that they do separate, even as solids? For instance, what if I used small uniform spheres of different material in the centrifuge?

If you manipulate the shape of all objects, it is easier to sort them in that step instead of changing their shape.
Shaking would be another concept, but it tends to separate objects by size, too (could be useful or bad, no idea).

Related to Imitating ice for room-temp experiments

1. How can I create a room-temperature ice for my experiments?

One way to create a room-temperature ice is by using a mixture of water and a salt, such as calcium chloride, which has a lower freezing point than water. This will result in a slushy mixture that mimics the texture and appearance of ice at room temperature.

2. Why is it important to imitate ice for room-temperature experiments?

Many experiments require the use of ice, but using regular ice can alter the temperature and affect the results. By imitating ice at room temperature, researchers can maintain a consistent temperature throughout the experiment and obtain more accurate results.

3. Can I use any type of salt to create a room-temperature ice?

No, not all salts have the same effect on water's freezing point. It is important to use a salt that has a lower freezing point than water, such as calcium chloride or magnesium chloride.

4. Are there any other methods to create a room-temperature ice for experiments?

Yes, besides using salt, you can also use a mixture of water and ethyl alcohol or a mixture of water and glycerol to create a slushy ice-like substance at room temperature. These solutions have a lower freezing point than water, allowing them to remain in a semi-frozen state at room temperature.

5. Can I reuse the imitation ice for multiple experiments?

It is not recommended to reuse the imitation ice for multiple experiments as it may have absorbed impurities and contaminants from previous experiments. It is best to create a new batch of imitation ice for each experiment to ensure accurate results.