Imagine a proton in a certain place during an experiment

In summary, the individual is asking for clarification on the concept of imagining a proton in a specific location during an experiment and expecting it to appear elsewhere. They are seeking to better understand this concept in the context of quantum physics and are looking for ways to learn and study despite not being able to attend university. They appreciate the constructive comment and will work on reformulating their question.
realamateur
When you imagine a proton in a certain place during an experiment and expect it to be
everywhere else where does the proton appear?

Physics news on Phys.org

realamateur said:
When you imagine a proton in a certain place during an experiment and expect it to be
everywhere else where does the proton appear?

Back up a bit. Your question makes very little sense.

What do you mean by "imagine"? Who's imagining what? Rather than "imagine" something, why don't you describe a particular situation where this proton is in?

Secondly, what do you mean by "appear"? Is a particular measurement being made onto the system? Things just don't "appear", and certainly it is not something you can tell without some sort of a detection/measurement.

You posted this in the Quantum Physics forum, which probably means you're trying to understand a particular aspect of QM. It would be nice if you are a bit more verbose in describing what it is that you're trying to understand. In physics, and especially in QM, the "questions" that we ask of Nature is as important as the answers we're trying to get from her. So these questions have to be clearly defined.

Zz.

As my name suggest I am an amateur. I have developed a great interest in Physics, The Universe and workings of the Universe and I am looking for possibilities to go to university, but when one is not rich or 20 anymore it is difficult and you look for ways to learn and study anyway :smile:. At the moment I am just reading scientific literature and I see that I have to reformulate my question.

Thanks Zz for your constructive comment,

Regards,
Martyn

Related to Imagine a proton in a certain place during an experiment

1. What is a proton?

A proton is a subatomic particle found in the nucleus of an atom. It has a positive charge and a mass of approximately 1 atomic mass unit.

2. What is an experiment?

An experiment is a scientific procedure conducted to test a hypothesis or gather data. It involves controlled conditions, measurements, and observations to provide evidence for a scientific theory.

3. Why is it important to consider the placement of a proton during an experiment?

The placement of a proton during an experiment can affect the outcome of the experiment. Protons can interact with other particles and can be affected by external forces, so their precise location is crucial in obtaining accurate results.

4. How is the position of a proton determined in an experiment?

The position of a proton can be determined using various techniques such as particle detectors, imaging techniques, and spectroscopy. These methods allow scientists to observe and track the movement of protons during an experiment.

5. Can a proton be in multiple places at once during an experiment?

According to quantum mechanics, a proton can exist in multiple places at once until it is observed or measured. This is known as the principle of superposition and is a fundamental concept in understanding the behavior of subatomic particles.