Imaginary parts of GAMMA(1/2+I*y)

In summary, the conversation is about finding an explicit formula for the real and imaginary parts of GAMMA(1/2+I*y) as functions of y. The user has tried various references and methods but has not been successful. They also share the equations they have found for the magnitude and ask for any references that may have the desired formula.
Mathjunkie
Hi:

Does anyone know of an explicit formula for the Real and Imaginary parts of GAMMA(1/2+I*y) as functions of y ?

I know about

|GAMMA(1/2+I*y)|^2 =Re(GAMMA(1/2+I*y))^2+Im(GAMMA(1/2+I*y))^2= Pi/cosh(Pi*y)

but can't find anything about each of the Real and Imaginary terms individually. Checked just about every reference book that exists, and tried to derive something myself with no luck.

Thanks to anyone who can point me to a reference. You'd think that something like that must be known.

Physics news on Phys.org

Perhaps not what you wanted...
Real part
[tex]\int _{0}^{\infty }\!{{\rm e}^{-t}}\sqrt {t}\cos \left( y\ln \left( t
\right) \right) {dt}[/tex]
Imaginary part
[tex]\int _{0}^{\infty }\!{{\rm e}^{-t}}\sqrt {t}\sin \left( y\ln \left( t
\right) \right) {dt}[/tex]

Related to Imaginary parts of GAMMA(1/2+I*y)

1. What is the significance of the imaginary part in GAMMA(1/2+I*y)?

The imaginary part in GAMMA(1/2+I*y) represents the vertical shift of the gamma function on the complex plane. It is a measure of the distance between the function and the real axis.

2. How does the imaginary part of GAMMA(1/2+I*y) affect the behavior of the function?

The imaginary part plays a crucial role in the behavior of GAMMA(1/2+I*y). It determines the oscillations of the function on the complex plane, which can greatly impact the value of the function at certain points.

3. Can the imaginary part of GAMMA(1/2+I*y) be negative?

Yes, the imaginary part of GAMMA(1/2+I*y) can be negative. This indicates that the function is shifted downwards on the complex plane.

4. How is the imaginary part of GAMMA(1/2+I*y) related to the real part?

The imaginary and real parts of GAMMA(1/2+I*y) are interconnected in a complex conjugate relationship. This means that for every imaginary value, there is a corresponding real value that produces the same result.

5. What is the practical use of the imaginary part in GAMMA(1/2+I*y) in scientific research?

The imaginary part of GAMMA(1/2+I*y) is widely used in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and statistics. It helps in solving complex equations and analyzing data, making it a valuable tool in research and experimentation.