Imaginary number's definition misunderstanding

In summary, the concept of "square root" is not well-defined for complex numbers, and therefore does not obey many of the usual rules of algebra. This can lead to apparent contradictions or paradoxes, but they can be resolved by using the correct definitions and operations for complex numbers.In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between i^2 and SQRT(-1) and the ambiguity of the square root in complex numbers. It also mentions the incorrect use of regular arithmetic rules with complex numbers. The correct definitions and operations for complex numbers must be used to avoid contradictions.
alingy1

Homework Statement

I'm in this self-learning course. I came on this problem I thought of.

So, i^2=-1.
But, isn't i=sqroot of -1?
If so, the product of the two minus -1 and the square root of that should give 1.

Am I not getting something?
I searched the web with the keywords of my question, but I couldn't find any result...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Is i positive or negative?

The relation i^2 = -1 is the converse of saying i = SQRT(-1). If a = SQRT(b), then a^2 = b.

Then, there are these relations:

i = SQRT(-1)
i^2 = -1
i^3 = -i
i^4 = +1

Likes 1 person
I do not understand what you mean by "The product of two minus -1 and the square of that". Literally interpreted, "two minus -1" is 2- (-1)= 3 but surely that is not what you mean. Did you mean "the product of -1, twice"? Does "that" refer to i? Yes, [itex]i^2= -1[/itex]. The product of "-1, twice" is [itex](-1)^2= 1[/itex]. What does that have to do with [itex]i^2= -1[/itex]?

If there is something you are "not getting", perhaps it is the difference between the "square" and the "square root". The square of -2 is (-1)(-1)= 1. But the square root of -1 is i.

(There is a "technical" point here: while every number has a single square, every complex number has two square roots. The two square roots of -1 are i and -i.)

Likes 1 person
Oh boy, sorry. I'm a second language speaker so speaking English messes my train of thoughts. :P
Let me repair the situation:
So, I have been taught that:''the product of two radicals is the same as the radical of the product, and vice versa.''-purplemath
But, now, dealing with the imaginary number:
We know that i=sqroot(-1).
So, i^2 should equal 1 since:
i^2=sqroot(-1)xsqroot(-1)=sqroot(-1x-1)=sqroot(1)=1

But, that makes no sense because it is said that i^2=-1

Is the property that I have been taught wrong? If so, when can I not use it?

The square root has an ambiguity in the complex numbers. You cannot use all the regular operations possible with positive real numbers.

Likes 1 person
@alingly1: You may find this post in the FAQ section by micromass interesting:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=637214

You will find a discussion of some of the "paradoxes" arising from mis-using the usual rules of arithmetic with complex numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person

Related to Imaginary number's definition misunderstanding

1. What is an imaginary number?

An imaginary number is a number that can be written as a real number multiplied by the imaginary unit, which is represented by the letter i. It is defined as the square root of -1 and is denoted by the symbol √-1 or just i.

2. How is an imaginary number different from a real number?

An imaginary number is different from a real number because it cannot be plotted on a number line. Real numbers are all numbers that can be represented on a number line, while imaginary numbers are numbers that cannot, such as the square root of -1.

3. Can imaginary numbers be used in real life?

Yes, imaginary numbers are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. They are particularly useful in electrical engineering for calculating currents and voltages in alternating current circuits.

4. Is the term "imaginary number" misleading?

Yes, the term "imaginary number" can be misleading because it implies that these numbers are not real or do not exist. However, they are just as real as any other number and are essential in many mathematical and scientific applications.

5. What is the difference between an imaginary number and a complex number?

An imaginary number is a complex number with a real part of 0. Complex numbers have both a real and imaginary part, while imaginary numbers only have an imaginary part. For example, 3 + 4i is a complex number, while 4i is an imaginary number.