Imaginary multiplication with answer to be in polar (variables)

In summary, imaginary multiplication in polar form is the process of multiplying two complex numbers in their polar form, resulting in a new complex number with a magnitude equal to the product of the original magnitudes and an angle equal to the sum of the original angles. This can be done using the formula (r1 * r2) * (cos(theta1 + theta2) + i*sin(theta1 + theta2)). Polar form is significant because it allows for a more intuitive representation of complex numbers and makes it easier to perform operations and visualize the results. It differs from multiplication in rectangular form, which involves converting the numbers to polar form, performing the operation, and then converting back to rectangular form.
sportsguy3675
I have to find (a+bi)(c+di) in polar form given that b,c,d>0 and a<0.

So I convert each one to polar first.

[tex]( (a+b)cis(\arctan(-b/a) + \pi) ) ( (c+d)cis(\arctan(d/c)) )[/tex]

That's as far as I got. Little help please?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Multiply the numbers out first. Then you will have just one complex number. Then just find the modulus and argument using pythagoras and arctan like you mentioned.

That would give -(ac) -(adi) +(bci) -(bd)?

But how do I find a modulus and argument with that?

Related to Imaginary multiplication with answer to be in polar (variables)

1. What is imaginary multiplication in polar form?

Imaginary multiplication in polar form involves multiplying two complex numbers in their polar form, which includes a magnitude and an angle. This results in a new complex number with a magnitude equal to the product of the original magnitudes and an angle equal to the sum of the original angles.

2. How do you multiply two complex numbers in polar form?

To multiply two complex numbers in polar form, you can use the formula (r1 * r2) * (cos(theta1 + theta2) + i*sin(theta1 + theta2)), where r1 and r2 are the magnitudes of the complex numbers and theta1 and theta2 are the angles.

3. Can you provide an example of imaginary multiplication in polar form?

Yes, for example, if we want to multiply 3(cos(30°) + i*sin(30°)) with 4(cos(45°) + i*sin(45°)), the result would be 12(cos(75°) + i*sin(75°)).

4. What is the significance of using polar form in imaginary multiplication?

Polar form allows us to represent complex numbers in a more intuitive way, using a magnitude and an angle. This makes it easier to perform operations such as multiplication and division, as well as visualize the results.

5. How does imaginary multiplication in polar form differ from multiplication in rectangular form?

In rectangular form, complex numbers are represented as a combination of a real part and an imaginary part (a + bi). In polar form, they are represented as a magnitude and an angle (r(cos(theta) + i*sin(theta))). Multiplication in polar form involves using the polar form of the complex numbers, while multiplication in rectangular form involves converting the numbers to polar form, performing the operation, and then converting back to rectangular form.