Imaginary factor in WAVE guide TE field

In summary, the imaginary factor in the field equations (e^{-jβz} ), effects the E and H fields by delaying the phase 90°.
FrankJ777
Hey guys. I'm trying to comprehend the TEmn EM fields in wave guides. I've gone through the derivation, using Pozar's microwave textbook, and for the most part it's straight forward. I am having a hard time though determining what the effect of the imaginary factor in the field equations are.
Here is the simplest case, a TE10 wave propagating in the z direction, with a picture of the waveguide dimentions and the E field as I would imagine it to be.
The E and H fields are given as:

E[itex]_{y}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{-jωμm\pi}{k^{2}a}[/itex] A sin[itex]\frac{mx\pi}{a}[/itex] e[itex]^{-jβz}[/itex]

H[itex]_{x}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{jβm\pi}{k^{2}a}[/itex] A sin[itex]\frac{mx\pi}{a}[/itex] e[itex]^{-jβz}[/itex]

k1an3a.jpg

I understand there is a dependency on z from the e[itex]^{-jβz}[/itex] factor.
I also understand there is a time and frequency dependancy (not shown) from e[itex]^{jωt}[/itex] factor.
But what I'm really trying to understand is, how does the factor, [itex]\frac{-jωμm\pi}{k^{2}a}[/itex] , effect the fields?
I'm not sure how I should tread the imaginary factor in this case.
Thanks a lot.

Engineering news on Phys.org
When we use complex numbers to describe real quantities, such as amplitudes of fields along a waveguide, the real value is found by multiplying by e^jωt then taking the real part.

Ey(x,y,z,t) = [itex]Re[\frac{-jωμm\pi}{k^{2}a}[/itex] A sin[itex]\frac{mx\pi}{a}[/itex] e[itex]^{-jβz}[/itex]e[itex]^{jωt}][/itex]:

These steps are not written explicitly but are understood.

Thanks emi guy, but I think you missunderstood what part I was asking about. I got that there is an assumed factor e[itex]^{jωt}[/itex], but what I didn't understand was the first factor, colored red, in the Ey field equation below.

Ey(x,y,z,t) = Re [itex][\frac{-jωμm\pi}{k^{2}a} [/itex] A sin[itex]\frac{mx\pi}{a}[/itex] e[itex]^{-jβz}[/itex]e[itex]^{jωt}][/itex]:

I've been thinking about it though, about what it's affect on the E field is. If you could tell me if I'm right or not I'd be grateful.
Using the identity: j = e[itex]^{j\frac{\pi}{2}}[/itex]

The Ey field becomes:
Ey(x,y,z,t) = Re [itex][\frac{ωμm\pi}{k^{2}a} [/itex] A sin[itex]\frac{mx\pi}{a}[/itex] e[itex]^{-jβz}[/itex]e[itex]^{jωt}[/itex] e[itex]^{-j\frac{\pi}{2}}[/itex] ]

which is
[itex][\frac{ωμm\pi}{k^{2}a} [/itex] A sin[itex]\frac{mx\pi}{a}[/itex] cos([itex]\omega[/itex]t - βz - 90°)

which will just delay the phase 90° as the wave propagates along the z direction.

Hope I'm on the right track. Thanks!

Related to Imaginary factor in WAVE guide TE field

1. What is the "imaginary factor" in WAVE guide TE field?

The "imaginary factor" in WAVE guide TE field refers to the imaginary part of the propagation constant, which is a measure of how a wave propagates through a medium. In WAVE guide TE field, the imaginary factor represents the attenuation or loss of energy in the wave as it travels through the waveguide.

2. How does the imaginary factor affect the propagation of waves in WAVE guide TE field?

The imaginary factor in WAVE guide TE field affects the amplitude of the wave as it travels through the waveguide. As the wave propagates, the imaginary factor causes the amplitude to decrease, leading to loss of energy and attenuation of the wave.

3. What is the significance of the imaginary factor in WAVE guide TE field?

The imaginary factor in WAVE guide TE field is a crucial factor in determining the performance of a waveguide. It helps to predict the amount of energy loss in the waveguide and is essential in designing efficient waveguides for various applications.

4. How is the imaginary factor calculated in WAVE guide TE field?

The imaginary factor in WAVE guide TE field is calculated using the complex propagation constant, which is the sum of the real and imaginary parts. The imaginary factor is then obtained by taking the imaginary part of the complex propagation constant.

5. Can the imaginary factor be reduced in WAVE guide TE field?

Yes, the imaginary factor can be reduced in WAVE guide TE field by using materials with lower conductivity and designing the waveguide to minimize reflections and losses. However, completely eliminating the imaginary factor is not possible, and some energy loss will always occur in the waveguide.