Images in a diverging lens are always virtual. when an objectis placed

In summary, virtual images in a diverging lens always remain virtual, while an object placed between the focus and optical centre of a converging lens also produces a virtual image. The main differences between these virtual images are their characteristics, including magnification, attitude, location, and type. A diverging lens produces a virtual image when the rays radiate outward from the focus, while a converging lens produces a virtual image when the rays radiate inward and cross each other. Additionally, it is not possible to magnify an image using a diverging lens.
nic.harv
images in a diverging lens are always virtual. when an objectis placed betweenthe focus and optical centre of a converging lens, the image is also virtual. what are the differences between these virtual images? explain by studying the 4 characteristics of each image.

i have no idea of what to do, I've looked through my textbook and couldn't find anything, please help!

Physics news on Phys.org

What are those characteristics of an image?

ehild

i think that they are both virtual and that their put through different types of lenses

What about position, magnitude, are they upright or inverted?

ehild

yea i think those as well

And what is the difference between the virtual images produced by a converging lens and a diverging one? Can you magnify by a diverging lens?

ehild

the characteristics are magnification, attitude, location and type
diverging is when the rays radiate outward from the focus
converging is when the rays radiate inward so they cross each other

It is correct. Can you tell the difference between the virtual images produced by a converging or a diverging lens?

ehild

Related to Images in a diverging lens are always virtual. when an objectis placed

1. What is a diverging lens?

A diverging lens is a type of lens that is thicker at the edges and thinner in the middle. When light passes through a diverging lens, it is bent away from the central axis, creating a virtual image.

2. Why are images in a diverging lens always virtual?

Images in a diverging lens are always virtual because the light rays do not actually converge at a point. Instead, they appear to diverge from a point behind the lens, creating a virtual image.

3. How is the position of a virtual image determined in a diverging lens?

The position of a virtual image in a diverging lens is determined by extending the diverging rays back to where they appear to converge. This point is known as the virtual focus.

4. What happens to the size of an object when it is placed in front of a diverging lens?

When an object is placed in front of a diverging lens, its size appears smaller in the virtual image. This is because the light rays are bent away from each other, causing the image to be magnified.

5. Can a real image be formed by a diverging lens?

No, a real image cannot be formed by a diverging lens. This is because the light rays do not actually converge to form a real image. However, a diverging lens can form a virtual image, which appears to be behind the lens.