Image speed + acceleration from video

In summary, the conversation discusses using video footage filmed in slow motion at 1/10 of normal speed to plot points on a moving object and obtain speed and acceleration data using MATLAB. The equations for calculating speed and acceleration are mentioned, with a question about whether they should be multiplied by ten due to the slow motion factor. There is also a reminder to be cautious when converting pixels to other units of length.
axe34

Homework Statement

Hello
I have a video that is 30 fps according to the video information (when i right click on the file). It is stated that the videos were filmed in slow motion at 1/10 of normal speed.

I'm using a standard version of MATLAB to plot points (actual position) on a moving object; i need speed and acceleration data

Homework Equations

Speed = delta position * fps
accel = delta speed * fps[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Are the speeds and accel = to the above equations but times ten ? i.e.

Speed = delta distance * fps *10
accel = delta speed * fps*10

Physics news on Phys.org
If the video was filmed at 1/10 of normal speed, doesn't that give you an actual frame rate of 300 fps?

By the way, I don't know how you are measuring position, but you have to be careful that it can be hard to convert pixels to other units of length.

Related to Image speed + acceleration from video

1. How do you calculate image speed and acceleration from a video?

To calculate image speed, you can use the formula: speed = distance/time. In a video, you can measure the distance traveled by an object or person in a specific time frame, and then divide that distance by the time it took to travel. To calculate acceleration, you can use the formula: acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity)/time. You can measure the initial and final velocities of an object or person in a video and divide it by the time it took for the change in velocity to occur.

2. What units are used to measure image speed and acceleration?

Image speed is typically measured in distance per unit time, such as meters per second or miles per hour. Acceleration is measured in distance per unit time squared, such as meters per second squared or miles per hour squared.

3. How does frame rate affect the accuracy of calculating image speed and acceleration?

The frame rate of a video can have a significant impact on the accuracy of calculating image speed and acceleration. A higher frame rate allows for more precise measurements, as there are more frames per second to analyze. A lower frame rate may result in less accurate calculations, as there are fewer frames to work with.

4. Can image speed and acceleration be affected by factors other than the object or person's movement?

Yes, image speed and acceleration can be affected by other factors such as camera movement or distortion. For example, if the camera is moving or zooming in or out, it can skew the measurements and result in inaccurate calculations. It is important to consider and control for these factors when analyzing image speed and acceleration from a video.

5. Is it possible to calculate image speed and acceleration without a video?

No, it is not possible to accurately calculate image speed and acceleration without a video. These measurements require the analysis of an object or person's movement over a period of time, which can only be captured in a video. Without a video, it would be difficult to determine the distance traveled or the change in velocity of an object or person.