Image of Galaxy M83 by Dave: July 2016

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Galaxy Image
In summary, the conversation was about a user's recent absence from posting images due to health and eyesight issues. They shared an image of the Southern Pinwheel Galaxy that they took in July 2016 with their Canon 6D and a telephoto lens. They also mentioned how they cropped the image and thanked the other user for their comment. The other user joked about their own experience with small setbacks while using their telescope.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
hi guys

I haven't posted any images for a very long time, health/eyesight has been pretty bad and stopping me from getting out with telescope and camera.
This image below of spiral galaxy, M83 ( also known as the Southern Pinwheel Galaxy)

July 2016 I did a set of 8 x 30 sec images with my Canon 6D, f5.6, ISO3200, Canon 400mm telephoto lens and stacked them in Deep Sky Stacker and then processed in Lightroom. The image has about a 65% crop to bring the galaxy up to a reasonable viewable size

M83 8 images stackedaa.jpg

this below is the full frame before cropping ...

M83 8 images stacked-2.jpg
cheers
Dave

Likes DennisN, Drakkith, berkeman and 4 others
Astronomy news on Phys.org
very cool. Thanks for posting.

davenn said:
health/eyesight has been pretty bad
really sorry to hear it

Likes davenn
davenn said:
I haven't posted any images for a very long time, health/eyesight has been pretty bad and stopping me from getting out with telescope and camera.

Psh, I had a hangnail the last time I went out with my scope... man up! :-p

Likes davenn
Drakkith said:
Psh, I had a hangnail the last time I went out with my scope... man up! :-p

hahaha

Beautiful!

Likes davenn

Related to Image of Galaxy M83 by Dave: July 2016

1. What is the significance of the "Image of Galaxy M83 by Dave: July 2016"?

The image captures the spiral galaxy M83, also known as the Southern Pinwheel galaxy, in stunning detail and was taken in July 2016 by photographer Dave. M83 is located approximately 15 million light-years away from Earth and is one of the closest and brightest spiral galaxies visible from the Southern Hemisphere.

2. How was the image of M83 captured?

The image was captured using a telescope equipped with a high-resolution camera, allowing for detailed images of the galaxy to be taken. The photographer likely used a long exposure time and multiple filters to capture the different wavelengths of light emitted by the galaxy.

3. What can we learn from this image?

By studying the image of M83, scientists can gather valuable information about the structure, composition, and evolution of the galaxy. They can also use the image to identify and study various features such as star clusters, dust lanes, and supernova remnants within the galaxy.

4. How does this image contribute to our understanding of the universe?

The image of M83 allows us to explore and understand the vastness and complexity of our universe. By studying galaxies like M83, scientists can gain insights into the formation and evolution of galaxies, as well as the processes that shape the universe as a whole.

5. Can we see M83 with the naked eye?

No, M83 is not visible to the naked eye. It requires a telescope or binoculars to be seen, and even then, it appears as a faint smudge in the night sky. However, with the help of powerful telescopes and advanced imaging techniques, we can capture stunning images of galaxies like M83 and gain a better understanding of our place in the universe.