Image formed by lens-water-mirror system

In summary, the lens-water-mirror system forms an image of an object 70 cm to the left of the lens on the lens axis and 70 cm away from the lens. The image has a lateral magnification of 1.52.
ConorDMK

Homework Statement

A symmetric, double-convex, thin lens made of glass with n = 1.52 has a focal length in air of 40 cm. The lens is sealed into the opening in the left-hand of a tank filled with water (n = 4/3). At the right-hand end of the tank is a plane mirror 90 cm from the lens. Find the position and lateral magnification of the image formed by the lens-water-mirror system of a small object outside the tank on the lens axis and 70 cm to the left of the lens.

Variables:
f=focal length=40cm,
na=refractive index of air=1,
ng=refractive index of glass=1.52,
nw=refractive index of water=4/3,
x=distance from lens to mirror=90cm,
s1=object distance=70cm

Homework Equations

1/f=(ng-na)(1/R1-1/R2)

na/s1+ng/s'1=(ng-na)/R1

ng/s2+nw/s'2=(nw-ng)/R2

The Attempt at a Solution

As the lens is symmetrical, R1=-R2
⇒ 1/f=(ng-na)(1/R1-1/R2)=(ng-na)(1/R1+1/R1)
⇒ 1/f=(ng-na)(2/R1)
⇒ R1=2f(ng-na)

Using -s'1=s2
na/s1+ng/s'1=(ng-na)/R1
⇒s'1=ng/(((ng-na)/R1)-(na/s1))

s2=ng/(((nw-ng)/(-R1))-(ng/s'2))

⇒-ng/(((ng-na)/R1)-(na/s1))=ng/(((nw-ng)/(-R1))-(ng/s'2))

⇒((ng-na)/R1)-(na/s1)=((nw-ng)/R1)+(ng/s'2)

⇒s'2=nw/(((ng-na)/R1)-(na/s1)-((nw-ng)/R1))

And s3=x-s'2

But this is where my friends and I get bogged down in where everything is supposed to be.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest that you plug in numbers as you go so that you work out each step numerically. I know this goes against the general rule of working all the way to the end symbolically and then substituting numbers, but the algebra in this case is obviously getting out of hand. By plugging the numbers in as you go, you can also see if your answers are making sense as you go. This problem is a field of land mines in regard to signs.

TSny said:
I suggest that you plug in numbers as you go so that you work out each step numerically. I know this goes against the general rule of working all the way to the end symbolically and then substituting numbers, but the algebra in this case is obviously getting out of hand. By plugging the numbers in as you go, you can also see if your answers are making sense as you go. This problem is a field of land mines in regard to signs.

That's the line of thinking that we decided to go down in the end. And having done that, I decided to do the full algebraic expression for the final image and final magnification anyway, just to annoy the people marking it. I feel like Dr Frankenstein.

ConorDMK said:
That's the line of thinking that we decided to go down in the end. And having done that, I decided to do the full algebraic expression for the final image and final magnification anyway, just to annoy the people marking it. I feel like Dr Frankenstein.
:oldbiggrin:

Related to Image formed by lens-water-mirror system

1. How is an image formed by a lens-water-mirror system?

An image is formed by a lens-water-mirror system when the light rays from an object pass through a lens, refract at the water surface, and reflect off the mirror. The lens refracts the light rays to converge at a point, which is then reflected by the mirror to form an inverted image.

2. What factors affect the quality of the image formed by a lens-water-mirror system?

The quality of the image formed by a lens-water-mirror system can be affected by various factors such as the curvature of the lens, the smoothness of the water surface, and the reflectivity of the mirror. Any distortions or imperfections in these components can result in a distorted or blurry image.

3. How can the position of the object affect the image formed by a lens-water-mirror system?

The position of the object can affect the image formed by a lens-water-mirror system in several ways. If the object is too close to the lens, the image may appear enlarged and distorted. If the object is too far from the lens, the image may appear smaller and less focused. The ideal position for the object is at the focal point of the lens.

4. Can the image formed by a lens-water-mirror system be upright?

Yes, the image formed by a lens-water-mirror system can be upright or inverted, depending on the placement of the object and the orientation of the lens. If the object is placed between the lens and the focal point, the image will be upright. If the object is placed beyond the focal point, the image will be inverted.

5. How does the lens-water-mirror system magnify an object?

The lens-water-mirror system can magnify an object by bending and converging the light rays from the object. This convergence causes the image to appear larger than the actual size of the object. The degree of magnification depends on the power of the lens and the distance between the object and the lens.