Image formed by a mirror - What is asked?

In summary, the diagram shows a mirror with an open circle in the middle. Rays corresponding to light coming from the open circle are drawn and marked with relevant angles. The problem is that the person attempting to solve the problem does not understand optics and is confused by the question. They suggest drawing rays from the open circle to the eye, and mark any relevant angles. They also mention that the image is virtual and that the size changes depending on the curvature of the mirror.
Doyouevenlift
1. Make a sketch copy of the diagram below and indicate clearly the position and nature of the image formed by the mirror. Draw rays corresponding to light coming from the open circle, and mark any relevant angles.

You can see the picture they mean in the attachment.

3. My attempt at the solution is also in the attachment. The problem is, I've never really been exposed to optics, and it is a part of an entrance exam I'm participating in, so I looked up some google images of 'mirror image' and I just saw that the virtual image is usually mirrored w.r.t. the 'mirror line', and that you can draw a line from the virtual image to the eye. That's all I've done, but the question itself confuses me:

- 'nature of the image' : What do they mean by 'nature' of an image?
- 'draw rays corresponding to light coming from the open circle': I don't understand anything about this sentence.
- Mark any relevant angles - What is there to mark? Aren't all the angles basically equal?

Attachments

• Physics Classroom 1.jpeg
    Physics Classroom 1.jpeg
    54.6 KB · Views: 751
  • Physics Classroom 2.JPG
    Physics Classroom 2.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 681
Physics news on Phys.org
I think they want you to draw rays coming from the o in the middle of the object/arrow. The rays should reflect off the mirror on fall into the eye (the arc in between the v shape).

Basic_Physics said:
I think they want you to draw rays coming from the o in the middle of the object/arrow. The rays should reflect off the mirror on fall into the eye (the arc in between the v shape).

So how many lines would you have to draw? I'm guessing 3, one to the top of the eye, one to the dot and one to the bottom, but that seems so random.

That sounds like a good idea.

Basic_Physics said:
That sounds like a good idea.

But what do they mean by 'mark the angles'. How can you know how big the angles actually are?

It might be that they just want you to show that the incident and reflection angles are the same. There are also several properties of the image that might be important - is it real or virtual, upright or inverted and how do it compare sizewise to the object.

Likes 1 person
Ok, thanks for the help

Last edited:
You should also indicate positionwise that it is the the same distance behind the mirror as it is in front. Yes, it is virtual because the rays do not actually pass throught the image behind the mirror. There is no image "on" the mirror? Good, you noticed that it is swopped around. Yes only when the mirror is curved will the size change - the relationship between the rays are then altered once reflected. Signing off now here in South Africa.

Related to Image formed by a mirror - What is asked?

1. How is an image formed by a mirror?

When an object is placed in front of a mirror, light rays reflect off the object and into the mirror. These reflected rays bounce off the mirror's surface and form an image, which is then reflected back to our eyes.

2. What are the types of images formed by a mirror?

There are two types of images that can be formed by a mirror: real and virtual. A real image is formed when the reflected rays actually converge at a point, while a virtual image is formed when the reflected rays only appear to converge at a point.

3. How does the distance between an object and a mirror affect the image?

The distance between an object and a mirror affects the size of the image. If the object is closer to the mirror, the image will appear larger, while a farther distance will result in a smaller image.

4. What is the difference between a concave and a convex mirror?

A concave mirror curves inward and can form both real and virtual images, while a convex mirror curves outward and only forms virtual images. Concave mirrors also magnify the image, while convex mirrors make the image appear smaller.

5. Can the orientation of a mirror affect the image formed?

Yes, the orientation of a mirror can affect the image formed. If a mirror is placed horizontally, the image will also be horizontal. If the mirror is tilted, the image will also be tilted. Additionally, the orientation can change the direction of the image, such as flipping it horizontally or vertically.