Image formed by a convex mirror

In summary, the diagram given in the question shows a converging beam of light incident on a convex mirror, resulting in a virtual image located 15 cm in front of the mirror. The sign conventions used in the solutions for both questions appear to be correct.
Amith2006
Sir,
I am posting these questions for the 3rd time as you didn't respond. Please respond.
1)A convergent beam of light is incident on a convex mirror of radius of curvature 60 cm as shown in figure. What is the nature and position of the image formed by it?
I solved it in the following way:
Let u, v and f be the object distance, image distance and focal length of the convex mirror respectively.
Here u = + 10 cm, f = +30 cm
1/u + 1/v = 1/f
v = (uf)/(u-f)
= (10 x 30)/(10 – 30)
= -15 cm
Hence the image formed is virtual and 15 cm in front of the mirror. Is it right?
2)A convex mirror of focal length f produces an image (1/n)th of the size of the object. What is the distance of the object from the mirror?
I solved it in the following way:
Magnification = 1/n = -(v/u)
i.e. v = -(u/n)
1/u + 1/v = 1/f
1/u – (n/u) = 1/f
By solving I get,
u = (1-n)f
Are my sign conventions right? Sometimes the diagram may not be clear. So I will try to describe the diagram. A convergent beam of light serves as a virtual object which appears to converge at a distance of 10 cm behind the mirror.

Attachments

• Opt 2.GIF
    Opt 2.GIF
    1.4 KB · Views: 444
Physics news on Phys.org
The most probably reason at to why no one has answered your question is that your attachments has not yet been approved.

Sir,
Could anyone online now reply to my query?

Question One

There is something wrong here "0" is the object as you suggest in your answer;

Let u, v and f be the object distance, image distance and focal length of the convex mirror respectively.
Here u = + 10 cm,

Surely the mirror should be considered concave?

Question Two

Yes, your sign conventions appear correct.

~H

Hootenanny Sir,
Why did you feel that the mirror should be concave and not convex? Could you please explain it in detail?

Amith2006 said:
Hootenanny Sir,
Why did you feel that the mirror should be concave and not convex? Could you please explain it in detail?

You said in your original post that;

Amith2006 said:
Here u = + 10 cm, f = +30 cm

Now if u = +10cm the object should be located at point 0 on your diagram and the rays would be diverging into a concave mirror. Was that diagram given in the question or did you draw it yourself? Would it be possible for you to quote the question as given?

Sir,
This was the diagram given in the question. Whether the mirror is concave of convex, in both the cases the object will be virtual isn't it, Sir?

Amith2006 said:
Sir,
This was the diagram given in the question. Whether the mirror is concave of convex, in both the cases the object will be virtual isn't it, Sir?

Yes, both images would be virtual, however, the convex mirror would lead to an image of reduced size whereas a concave mirror would lead to an enlarged image (as long as the object is inside the focul length of the mirror).

Related to Image formed by a convex mirror

1. How is an image formed by a convex mirror?

An image formed by a convex mirror is a virtual image, meaning it cannot be projected onto a screen. It is formed by the reflection of light rays off the mirror's curved surface, creating an image that appears to be behind the mirror.

2. What is the size of the image formed by a convex mirror?

The size of the image formed by a convex mirror is always smaller than the actual object. The exact size depends on the distance between the object and the mirror, as well as the curvature of the mirror.

3. Is the image formed by a convex mirror upright or inverted?

The image formed by a convex mirror is always upright, meaning it appears in the same orientation as the object. This is because the reflected rays diverge away from each other, creating an image that is smaller and farther away from the mirror.

4. Where is the image located in relation to the object in a convex mirror?

In a convex mirror, the image appears behind the mirror and closer to the mirror than the actual object. The distance between the image and the mirror is determined by the mirror's radius of curvature and the distance between the object and the mirror.

5. How does the focal length of a convex mirror affect the image formed?

The focal length of a convex mirror determines the size and location of the image. A shorter focal length will result in a smaller image that is closer to the mirror, while a longer focal length will result in a larger image that is farther away from the mirror.