Image Formation in Galilei Binoculars: Solving for the Image Position

In summary, a galilei binocular has lenses with ƒobjective = +30 cm and ƒokular = -10 cm. The distance between the lenses is 30 cm, and the binocular is aimed at an object 90 cm away from the objective lens. The binocular sees an image of the object on the right side of the objective lens, at a distance of 45 cm from the lens.
Mulz

Homework Statement

A galileibinocular consists of two lenses with ƒobjective = +30 cm and ƒokular = -10 cm. The distance between the lenses is 30 cm and the binocular is aimed at an object 90 cm away from the objective lens.

Where is the image of the object seen through the binoculars? (the binoculars are not in their normal position)

Homework Equations

1/a1 + 1/b1 = 1/ƒobjective
1/a2 + 1/b2 = 1/ƒokular
L = ƒobjective + ƒokular

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by:
[/B]
1/(90 cm) + 1/b1 = 1/(30 cm) which gave me b1 = 45 cm that is the image that the objective generates. Now I need to do the same for the okular but I don't know how to get a2.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's easiest to understand when all the distances are positive. Then the situation looks like this:

lens-3.jpg

The object is on the right, a distance ##a_1## from the the right lens. It produces an image on the left side of the right lens at a distance of ##b_1## from the lens. Then this image is a distance ##a_2## from the left lens. it produces an image on the left side of the left lens at a distance ##b_2## from the lens. The distance between the lenses is ##a_2 + b_1##.

The same general idea applies even when some of the parameters ##(a_1, b_1, f_1, a_2, b_2, f_2)## are negative. It's just that

1. If ##b_2## is negative, that means that the first image is a virtual image, on the right side of the right lens.
  2. If ##a_2## is negative, that means that the first image serves as a virtual object of the left lens.
  3. If ##b_2## is negative, that means that the final image is a virtual image, on the right side of the left lens.
In a telescope or microscope or binoculars, you actually want ##b_2## to be negative, because you want to put your eye close to the left lens and see the image through the lens, on the right side of the lens.

Attachments

• lens-3.jpg
    lens-3.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:
Likes Mulz
I agree with Steve*, but would draw it with the correct lenses and relative positions.

If b1 is 45 cm and the separation of the lenses is 30 cm, then you know the size of a2. The diagram will show what sort of object it is for the eyepiece lens.

* Edit: though IMO his ray direction is unconventional.

I solved it, thank you both.

Related to Image Formation in Galilei Binoculars: Solving for the Image Position

1. What is optics?

Optics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior and properties of light, including its interactions with matter and the instruments used to detect and measure it.

2. What are some common undergraduate optics problems?

Some common undergraduate optics problems include ray tracing, thin lens and mirror equations, interference and diffraction, and polarization.

3. How do I approach solving an undergraduate optics problem?

When solving an undergraduate optics problem, it is important to first clearly understand the given information, identify the relevant concepts and equations, and then systematically apply them to arrive at a solution.

4. What are some useful resources for practicing undergraduate optics problems?

There are many resources available for practicing undergraduate optics problems, including textbooks, online tutorials and practice problems, and laboratory experiments. Additionally, working with classmates or seeking help from a tutor or professor can also be beneficial.

5. How can understanding optics benefit me as a scientist?

Understanding optics is essential for many fields of science, including astronomy, biology, chemistry, and engineering. It allows for the design and use of instruments such as microscopes, telescopes, and lasers, and enables the study of light and its interactions with matter in various applications.