Image Formation and Reflection

In summary, light reflects off of objects and forms an image. Walls reflect light but do not form images. Images in reflections are called virtual.
san203
Gold Member
I have been having trouble with this for a long time

1st - How and Why is a image formed ?

2nd - If all objects reflect light why is the image not seen on all the objects

Even walls reflect light but there is no image formation when light rays from an object reflect off an object and strike the Wall.

Science news on Phys.org
san203 said:
I have been having trouble with this for a long time

1st - How and Why is a image formed ?

2nd - If all objects reflect light why is the image not seen on all the objects

Even walls reflect light but there is no image formation when light rays from an object reflect off an object and strike the Wall.

1st: when you understand that, please let me know! Its not easy.
2nd: image may not form on an object always.
wall is too rugged to form image of all points of some object on a single plane, so that you could see the image.
this will also help you in another way: all things reflect light but the percentage of light reflected depends on the angle of incidence: http://physics-animations.com/Physics/English/rays_txt.htm"

Last edited by a moderator:
An image is something that you can see and identify in some way. You identify a part of an image by light entering your eye as if it came from an array of points that correspond (well or badly, depending on the 'quality') to an original (maybe not an actual) object. But light appears to be spreading out from those points.

You see the surface of a gloss painted wall (or a dirty mirror) because some light is actually scattered by imperfections on the surface (diffuse reflection) and your eye / brain identify them as being on the surface. But you can also see reflected objects because a significant amount of the reflected light can be identified by your eye / brain as coming from other locations (called a coherent reflection) because light appears to be spreading out from identifiable points on their imagee.

Images in a reflection are called Virtual, because the light doesn't actually originat in the points that you 'see' - it just looks as if it does. Many of the images in lenses are virtual because the light doesn't actually originate from a real array of points at all. There are conditions when the light coming from a lens (or concave mirrior) actually passes through a real location in space (a focus) and that's a real image. You could put a screen there and an image would actually form on the screen.

Thanks sophiecentaur for helping me again.I sat down and thought about it hard before visiting this thread again and had pretty much figured this out on my own but you confirmed my logic.

BTW will i get to learn this better when i am older?
I am in the 10th grade now.

I am sure that, if you take the trouble to ask on forums like this one, you will do find. Good luck with your Science.

Related to Image Formation and Reflection

What is the difference between real and virtual images?

Real images are formed when light rays actually converge at a point, while virtual images are formed when light rays only appear to converge at a point but do not actually do so.

How is an image formed by a plane mirror?

An image is formed by a plane mirror through the process of reflection. The light rays from an object are reflected off the mirror's surface, creating a virtual image that appears to be behind the mirror at the same distance as the object.

What is the law of reflection?

The law of reflection states that the angle of incidence (the angle between the incoming light ray and the normal to the reflecting surface) is equal to the angle of reflection (the angle between the reflected light ray and the normal). This law applies to all types of reflection, including plane, concave, and convex.

How does the shape of a mirror affect the formation of an image?

The shape of a mirror affects the formation of an image by determining the direction and amount of curvature of the reflected light rays. A plane mirror produces a virtual image with the same size and orientation as the object, while a concave mirror can produce both real and virtual images depending on the object's position relative to the focal point. A convex mirror always produces a virtual, upright, and diminished image.

What is the difference between regular and diffuse reflection?

Regular reflection occurs when a smooth surface reflects light rays at the same angle as the incoming rays, resulting in a clear and distinct image. Diffuse reflection, on the other hand, occurs when a rough or irregular surface reflects light rays in many different directions, creating a scattered and less defined image.