Image for increase in gravitational potential energy in radial field

In summary, the conversation is about finding a real world scenario or image that would accurately represent the increase in gravitational potential energy in a radial field, specifically represented by the equation GMm*[1/r_1 - 1/r_2]. Suggestions such as a rocket going into space or a person carrying a heavy weight up stairs were mentioned, but the image should be relevant to the equation.
hexcalibur
TL;DR Summary
Suitable image for increase in gravitational potential energy in radial field
A question to physicists: What sort of real world scenario / image would *best* depict the increase in gravitational potential energy in a radial field?

Would a rocket traveling through the Earth's atmosphere suffice or are there better alternatives?

This image would have to be relevant to the equation: GMm*[1/r_1 - 1/r_2]

I have rockets, planets and space in mind but other suggestions are welcome too. Nothing boring please, hehe. 🙃

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by real world scenario? The function looks like ##-\frac 1 r##, which is easy to see on a graph.

Likes hexcalibur
What I'm looking for is an image to depict the increase in gravitational potential energy in a radial field. No mathematics is required. No graphs are required. No explanations required. What sort of image would look good beside the equation GMm*[1/r_1 - 1/r_2]? :-) Suggestions all welcome :-)

hexcalibur said:
What I'm looking for is an image to depict the increase in gravitational potential energy in a radial field.
Maybe a sweaty guy carrying a sack of concrete up a flight of stairs?

• Haha
Likes hutchphd
berkeman said:
Maybe a sweaty guy carrying a sack of concrete up a flight of stairs?
With the equation for GPE emblazoned on the sack?

Well, I was thinking of something more planet, space related. Like maybe a rocket going up into space (leaving Earth), but would it match the equation? I wouldn't want an image that isn't relevant to that specific equation. :-)

I have left the equation in the summary [Edited].

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the energy that is required to move an object from one position to another in a gravitational field.

2. How does an increase in gravitational potential energy occur in a radial field?

In a radial field, an increase in gravitational potential energy occurs when an object is moved from a point closer to the center of the field to a point farther away from the center. This is because the force of gravity decreases as the distance between two objects increases, resulting in an increase in potential energy.

3. What factors affect the amount of increase in gravitational potential energy in a radial field?

The amount of increase in gravitational potential energy in a radial field depends on the mass of the object, the distance between the object and the center of the field, and the strength of the gravitational force.

4. How is gravitational potential energy in a radial field related to the concept of work?

Gravitational potential energy in a radial field is directly related to the concept of work. Work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance over which the force is applied. In the case of an object moving in a radial field, the force is the force of gravity, and the distance is the distance between the object and the center of the field. Therefore, an increase in gravitational potential energy occurs when work is done on an object by moving it against the force of gravity.

5. Can the gravitational potential energy in a radial field be negative?

Yes, the gravitational potential energy in a radial field can be negative. This occurs when an object is moved from a point farther away from the center of the field to a point closer to the center. In this case, the force of gravity is doing work on the object, resulting in a decrease in potential energy.