Image charges of a 30 degree corner

In summary, for a conducting corner of angle 30 degrees, a total of 11 image charges are needed to cancel out the voltage. The first charge will be at the corner, followed by two perpendicular charges that are equidistant from the corner. This pattern will repeat around the graph.
physapple89

Homework Statement

I just want to make sure I'm doing this right. okay so you have a conducting corner of angle 30 degrees. How many image charges are there, I just need to sketch it.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my book sucks only explaining it for a 90 degree angle but I'm betting that in order to cancel the voltage for a 30 degree angle you need more than the three in my book. my graph is 11 image charges (because the 360 degrees is broken up evenly so they will cancel out and the angles this works for are 180/n because the 360/n need an even integer for there to be no charges of the same sign right next to each other. ) so I'm getting 11 image charges radially spaced starting wtih the first charge and the next two being perpendicular with teh same distance through the corners to make them V=0 and repeating around the graph.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! It sounds like you are on the right track. For a conducting corner of angle 30 degrees, you will need a total of 11 image charges to cancel out the voltage. This is because the 360 degrees is broken up evenly into 12 parts, so there will be 11 image charges radially spaced. The first charge will be at the corner, and then the next two will be perpendicular to each other and equidistant from the corner. This pattern will repeat around the graph, resulting in a total of 11 image charges. Good job on your solution!

Related to Image charges of a 30 degree corner

1. What is an image charge and how does it relate to a 30 degree corner?

An image charge is a virtual charge that is used to model the behavior of a real charge in the presence of a conductive surface. In the case of a 30 degree corner, the image charge is used to calculate the electric field and potential at that corner.

2. How is the image charge calculated for a 30 degree corner?

The image charge for a 30 degree corner can be calculated using the method of images, which involves placing a virtual charge at a symmetric distance from the corner on the other side of the conductive surface. The specific calculations will depend on the geometry of the corner and the material properties of the surface.

3. What are the applications of image charges for a 30 degree corner?

Image charges for a 30 degree corner can be used in various engineering and physics applications, such as designing electrical circuits, analyzing the behavior of conductors, and understanding the properties of electrostatic fields.

4. Are there any limitations to using image charges for a 30 degree corner?

One limitation of using image charges for a 30 degree corner is that it assumes the conductive surface is perfectly smooth and infinitely large. In reality, surfaces may have imperfections and finite size, which can affect the accuracy of the calculations.

5. How does the angle of the corner affect the image charges for a 30 degree corner?

The angle of the corner can have a significant impact on the strength and distribution of the image charges. In general, the sharper the corner, the stronger the image charges will be and the closer they will be to the corner itself.