Image by Refraction through Flat Surface

In summary, when a fish watcher at point P watches a fish through a glass wall of a fish tank, the watcher appears to be 20.0 cm away from the fish. This is due to Snell's law, which remains accurate for all angles, but the image may become blurred if the fish's eye can pick up rays for larger angles.
Tom MS

Homework Statement

A fish watcher at point P watches a fish through a glass wall of a fish tank. The watcher is level with the fish; the index of refraction of the glass is 8/5, and that of the water is 4/3. The distances are d1=8.0 cm, d2=3.0 cm, and d3=6.8 cm (a) To the fish, how far away does the watcher appear to be?
media%2F207%2F207d6e1c-e358-4fac-abf2-15f8b8825e51%2FphpQ3F6rI.png

Homework Equations

n1*sin(θ1) = n2*sin(θ2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the correct answer of 20.0 cm, but only when I used very small angles to form the image. I basically chose an arbitrary angle of light coming from the watcher and, using trig, calculated the final angle of refraction from the glass-water interface. I then traced it backwards to the central axis.

As the "arbitrary initial angle approached 0°, the image distance from the fish got closer to 20.0 cm. This would seem to indicate snell's law becomes more accurate with small angles or that the image is smeared out. I couldn't find anything about this when I looked it up. Could someone explain this to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tom MS said:
I basically chose an arbitrary angle of light coming from the watcher and, using trig, calculated the final angle of refraction from the glass-water interface. I then traced it backwards to the central axis.

As the "arbitrary initial angle approached 0°, the image distance from the fish got closer to 20.0 cm. .
Sounds good.

This would seem to indicate snell's law becomes more accurate with small angles or that the image is smeared out.
Snells law is accurate for all angles. But, you are right that the image would become blurred if the fish's eye could pick up rays for larger angles. For the case where the size of the watcher is small and the fish is very close to the normal line from the watcher, you can see that the only rays that reach the eye of the fish are rays with small angles of incidence.

Related to Image by Refraction through Flat Surface

1. How does image refraction through a flat surface work?

When light passes through a flat surface, it changes speed and direction due to the change in density. This causes the light rays to bend, creating an image that appears to be in a different location than the actual object.

2. Why does an object appear larger when viewed through a convex lens?

A convex lens is thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges, causing light rays to converge towards a focal point. This results in a magnified image of the object.

3. How is the image formed when light passes through a concave lens?

A concave lens is thinner in the middle and thicker at the edges, causing light rays to diverge. This results in a smaller, upright image that appears closer to the lens than the actual object.

4. Can image refraction be used for practical applications?

Yes, image refraction through flat surfaces and lenses is used in various optical devices such as eyeglasses, cameras, and microscopes. It is also used in the field of medicine for procedures like LASIK eye surgery.

5. How does the angle of incidence affect image refraction?

The angle of incidence, or the angle at which light enters the flat surface, determines the amount of refraction that occurs. A larger angle of incidence results in a greater amount of refraction and a more pronounced bending of light rays.