I'm trying to understand what a proportional band is....

In summary, proportional band is the range of temperature allowed to drift past the set point before the fan starts or stops, with the fan speed being proportional to the difference between the set point and measured signals. Deadband is different, with the heater turning on at a specific temperature and turning off at a slightly higher temperature, and always being either on or off in between.
TSN79
I've always struggled with understanding proportional band - even after watching a number of videos trying to explain it. Now I've got a fan regulator that has a temperature sensor and a potentiometer. It works by sending a signal (0-10V) to the fan if the ambient temperature drops below a certain value. It also has a knob where the temperature proportional band can be set between 1-8°C. I think it means how much the temperature is allowed to drift past the set point before the fan starts or stops. Is that about right...?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The fan speed signal (controller output) is proportional to the difference between the setpoint (what you want) and the measured (what you have) signals. Example: Setpoint is 30 deg C and proportional band is 5 deg C. Then output could be fan 0% speed at 30 deg C, 20% speed at 29 deg C, and 100% speed at 25 deg C.

Deadband is different. The thermostat in my house has deadband control. It turns the heater on at 70 deg F, and off at 71.5 deg F. Below 70 deg F, the heater is always on. Above 71.5 deg F, the heater is always off. In between, the heater could be either on or off.

Likes Asymptotic and DrClaude

Related to I'm trying to understand what a proportional band is....

What is a proportional band?

A proportional band is a control parameter used in feedback control systems. It describes the range of values around a setpoint where a control action will be applied to maintain the desired value.

How is proportional band calculated?

Proportional band is typically calculated as a percentage of the total range of the controlled variable. It can also be calculated using the gain or proportional gain of a control loop.

What is the purpose of proportional band?

The purpose of proportional band is to regulate and stabilize a system by controlling the output variable based on the difference between the setpoint and the measured value. It allows for a more precise and efficient control of processes.

How does proportional band affect control stability?

If the proportional band is too wide, the control action may be too aggressive and lead to oscillations and instability. If the proportional band is too narrow, the control action may be too slow and lead to overshoot and instability. Finding the optimal proportional band is crucial for maintaining control stability.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using proportional band?

The advantages of using proportional band include improved control accuracy, faster response times, and reduced control effort. However, the disadvantages may include the need for tuning and the potential for instability if the proportional band is not properly set.