I'm sure there are lots of way to define complexity in different

• Thread starter Cincinnatus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complexity
In summary, the conversation discusses different ways to define complexity, such as minimum description length, time complexity, and parameter complexity. The participants also mention the concept of ideal compression and discuss ancient Roman heroes, particularly Cincinnatus and Horatio.
Cincinnatus
I'm sure there are lots of way to define complexity in different contexts. Some that I've heard of include:

-Minimum description length / Kolmogorov complexity
-time complexity - number of steps to compute
-parameter complexity - number of parameters needed to specify a model.

There are probably many more... Particularly, there must be some interesting information theoretic ways to talk about this. Does anyone here know about this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
i love your handle. does everyone know that he was a roman citizen who accepted a high role in the government,perhaps senator or higher, did an outstanding job, and then simply returned to his farm? what a hero. unheard of today, unless maybe sam ervin counts, or jimmy carter.

I think ideal compression is the most useful definition. In ideal compression, you aren't dependent on the richness/versatility of the language used to describe the process. It should be noted, also, that there is a difference in compressing a sample of the output of a process, and encoding the process, itself.

Other than space complexity (what is the minimum amount of space needed to computer the answer, not including the input itself) I can't think of anything.

mathwonk said:
i love your handle. does everyone know that he was a roman citizen who accepted a high role in the government,perhaps senator or higher, did an outstanding job, and then simply returned to his farm? what a hero. unheard of today, unless maybe sam ervin counts, or jimmy carter.

I love Cincinnatus, he's one of my favorite ancient Roman heroes. Horatio (Gaius Horatius) is another; he's the quintessential man's man. He holds the way against hundreds of enemy soldiers while his men, from the other side of the bridge, take it down (at his command) to prevent them from sacking his city; when they collapsed the bridge Horatio, trapped on the wrong side and surrounded by hostiles, swims (in armor!) across to his own people. It was the "Superman" comic book of the early days of the Roman Republic.

Related to I'm sure there are lots of way to define complexity in different

What is complexity?

Complexity can be defined as the degree of intricacy or difficulty in understanding a system or concept. It is often used to describe the level of organization or interdependence within a system.

How is complexity measured?

There are many ways to measure complexity, including the number of components or parts in a system, the level of interconnectedness between those parts, and the amount of information or data required to describe the system.

What are some examples of complex systems?

Examples of complex systems include biological organisms, ecosystems, social networks, and technological systems such as the internet or a computer operating system.

Why is complexity important to study?

Studying complexity allows us to better understand the world around us and how different systems behave. It also helps us develop tools and strategies for managing and predicting complex phenomena.

How can we reduce complexity?

Reducing complexity can be done by simplifying a system or breaking it down into smaller, more manageable components. This can help us better understand and control a complex system.