I'm stuck on a proof that's probably trivial, any insights?

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a determinant and the use of the sign function in determining the determinant of a matrix. It is mentioned that the sum of alternating polynomials acted on by the symmetric group is equivalent to the vandermonde determinant. This is a special case of a more general identity and can be explained further in class notes provided.
PsychonautQQ
Given polynomial P(a,b,c,d,e,f...n) = (a^0)(b^1)(c^2)...(n^n)

show that the sum of P(a,b,c,d,e,f...x) when acted upon by the symmetric group of order n and each time multipled by the sgn function (1 if even and -1 if odd); that this sum is equal to the vandermonde determinant of these variables. Any insights? I'm quite lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your definition of the determinant? Do you know of the definition which uses the sign function?

Likes PsychonautQQ
Well, I believe that I'm using the standard definition for the determinant of the matrix (the resulting polynomial from co-factor expansion). However, the resulting determinant from a vandermonde matrix can be given by a simpler formula; it's given on this page under 'properties' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vandermonde_matrix.

So yes, I'm using the definition that involves the sign function. I'm still having trouble getting from the sum of alternating polynomials acted on by the symmetric group and the definition of the determinant of the vandermonde matrix.

Wow, so this is like exactly what I'm looking for?

Yep!

Likes PsychonautQQ
u da boss :D

So just to clarify, what you're saying is that the map that I'm trying to prove is equivalent to the vandermonde determinant is really equivalent to determinants in general, and thus equivalent to the vandermonde determinant.

Yes. The identity you are trying to prove is a special case of a more general identity.

Likes PsychonautQQ
If you want to go through the details of this standard permutation approach to determinants, including the proof that it agrees with the expansion by rows you mention, it is explained on pages 62-67 of these class notes:

http://alpha.math.uga.edu/%7Eroy/4050sum08.pdf

Likes PsychonautQQ

Related to I'm stuck on a proof that's probably trivial, any insights?

1. Can you explain the proof in simpler terms?

It's always helpful to break down the proof into smaller steps and provide examples to illustrate each step. This can make the proof easier to understand and identify any potential mistakes.

2. How do I know if I'm on the right track with my proof?

One way to check if your proof is on the right track is to compare it to similar proofs or to ask for feedback from other mathematicians. You can also try to prove the statement in a different way to see if you get the same result.

3. What resources can I use to help me with my proof?

There are many resources available such as textbooks, online forums, and mathematical communities where you can seek help and advice for your proof. You can also consult with a mentor or professor for guidance.

4. How do I deal with feeling stuck or frustrated during the proof process?

It's normal to feel stuck or frustrated during the proof process. Take a break and come back to it later with a fresh perspective. You can also try discussing your problem with others or approaching it from a different angle.

5. How can I improve my proof-writing skills?

Practice makes perfect! Set aside time to work on proofs regularly and seek feedback from others to improve your skills. You can also read and analyze well-written proofs to learn different techniques and approaches.