Im stuck in this statistics problem

In summary, the weight of items produced by a production line follows a normal distribution with a mean of 12 ounces and a standard deviation of 2 ounces. Quality control requires the weight to be within 8 and 16 ounces. The probability of 3 out of 7 items fulfilling the requirements is 0.9544. It is unclear if the requirement is for exactly 3 out of 7 items.
619snake

Homework Statement

the weight of items produced by a production line is normally distributed with a mean of 12 ounces and a standard deviation of 2 ounces.
Suppose that quality control requires the weight of items to be within 8 and 16 ounces. You select 7 items at random (each item is independent). What is the probability that 3 items will fulfill quality control requirements.

What I have to the moment is:
X~n(12,2)
P(x<16) - P(x<8)
z=(16-12)/2
z=2

z= (8-12)/2
z=-2

p(z<2)-P(z<-2)
=.9772-.0228
=.9544

p(x>20)
z=(20-12)/2
z=4
P(z>4) = 1

Those where other requirements of the problem. I'm stuck at the supposing, can't decide if it is binomial or not, and how to start the procedure

Physics news on Phys.org
So you calculated the probability of success for each trial to be 0.9544? That takes care of the supposing part. Now figure out what the 3 out of 7 means.

.. personally I can't tell. Is it asking for _exactly_ 3 out of 7?

Related to Im stuck in this statistics problem

What is statistics?

Statistics is a branch of mathematics that deals with collecting, analyzing, interpreting, and presenting numerical data. It is used to make informed decisions and draw conclusions about a population based on a sample.

Why is statistics important?

Statistics is important because it allows us to make sense of large amounts of data and draw accurate conclusions. It is used in various fields such as business, medicine, psychology, and social sciences to make informed decisions and predictions.

How can I understand a difficult statistics problem?

Understanding a difficult statistics problem requires breaking it down into smaller, manageable parts. Start by identifying the key concepts and variables involved. Then, try to visualize the problem and use diagrams or graphs to help you understand it. You can also seek help from a tutor or reference materials.

What are some common mistakes to avoid in statistics?

Some common mistakes to avoid in statistics include misinterpreting data, using biased samples, and making incorrect assumptions. It is also important to check for outliers and to use appropriate statistical tests for the type of data being analyzed.

How can I improve my statistical skills?

Improving your statistical skills requires practice and understanding of basic mathematical concepts. You can also attend workshops or take online courses to learn more advanced statistical techniques. It is also important to stay updated on new statistical methods and technologies.