I'm really lost with average velocity and displacement

In summary: EastIn summary, Heather and Matthew walk with an average velocity of 0.98m/s eastward and it takes them 34 minutes to walk to the store. Their displacement is 2.0km east.
totalanarchy

Homework Statement

Heather and Matthew walk with an average velocity of 0.98m/s eastward. If it takes them 34 min to walk to the store, what is their displacement?

Homework Equations

V avg = Δxt (since I'm looking for the displacement I changed it to) Δx=V avgΔt

The Attempt at a Solution

Δx=VavgΔt=(0.98 m/s)(34min)=33.32m East

When I looked at the back of the textbook it said 2.00km East, how did they get that number?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should check your units. Make sure everything is canceling out correctly.

I don't get that. Sorry I just started physics. I was following an example from the textbook, and I understood that. But, the questions aren't making any since. I'm starting to pull my hair trying to get the right answer.

You have the right equation. As localrob has noted, check your units for the time taken. You have the time in minutes, but you should denote the time in units of ______?____.

In units of seconds right. So would I have to covert 34 minutes to seconds?

totalanarchy said:
In units of seconds right. So would I have to covert 34 minutes to seconds?
Sure...(m/sec)(sec) = m

Thanks I got it!

Δx=(0.98m/s)(34 min * 60 sec/min)
which gives me 1,999.2/1000 = 1.9 or 2.0km

Related to I'm really lost with average velocity and displacement

1. What is the difference between average velocity and displacement?

Average velocity refers to the average rate of change of an object's position over a certain time period. It takes into account both the distance an object traveled and the time it took to travel that distance. Displacement, on the other hand, refers to the change in an object's position from its starting point to its ending point, regardless of the path taken. It is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude and direction.

2. How do you calculate average velocity and displacement?

To calculate average velocity, you divide the total displacement by the total time. The formula is v = Δd/Δt, where v is the average velocity, Δd is the change in displacement, and Δt is the change in time. Displacement can be calculated by subtracting the initial position from the final position.

3. What is the unit of measurement for average velocity and displacement?

The unit of measurement for average velocity is meters per second (m/s). The unit for displacement is also meters (m). However, since displacement is a vector quantity, it also includes a direction, such as "east" or "north."

4. How do you interpret a negative average velocity or displacement?

A negative average velocity or displacement indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction. For example, if an object has a displacement of -10 meters, it means that it moved 10 meters in the negative direction from its starting point. Similarly, a negative average velocity means that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction. For instance, an average velocity of -5 m/s means that the object is moving in the negative direction at a rate of 5 meters per second.

5. Can average velocity and displacement be the same?

No, average velocity and displacement cannot be the same. Displacement is a measure of an object's change in position, while average velocity is a measure of the average rate at which an object changes its position. While they may have the same numerical value, they are still different quantities with different meanings and units of measurement.