I'm in year twelve (in New Zealand, equivalent to 11th grade I think)

In summary, the physics class is harder than it needs to be and I need to work on my problem solving skills.
LizzzyBF
I'm in year twelve (in New Zealand, equivalent to 11th grade I think) and physics this year seems much harder than it was before. I usually got the equivalent of B's in physics last year, so I wasn't particularly great, and I want to get more A's this year (as eventually I want to be a physicist), but I don't know what I need to be doing to improve. Everything we do in class makes sense, including the example problems, but I find when we have to do problems for homework, I always go off in the wrong direction.
for example, I had a problem where you had to derive vf^2=vi^2+2ad by substituting vf=vi+at into d=(vi+vf/2)t and eliminating t. That was all given in the question. what I did was substitute straight away, but the answers say you rearrange vf=vi+at to make t the subject first. I can see in retrospect how that works, but I often find that I don't recognise things like that until I've been told.
What I'm looking for is what I can do to get good at figuring those sorts of things out, as I think that's the main reason I don't get fantastic marks.

Physics news on Phys.org

The answer to the question varies from person to person. Some are gifted in patterns and can see it right away, others must practice quite a bit to get the hang of it, and so on.

I recommend doing all the problems in your textbook for a chapter, or at least the hard ones. That put me in the right path towards improving my analytic skills. I was quite bad at first, terrible!, but after practicing and learning what pattern to see, and what to do, I improved. Good luck!

Sounds to me like that's an issue with math more than with physics, at least for the particular example you mentioned.

I'm taking an E&M course right now, which is notorious as a 'weeder course' for engineers. The thing is, what people mostly have trouble with isn't a conceptual understanding of the physics. What kills most people is a weak foundation in calculus and linear algebra, which we use quite a bit. If you don't have a really strong foundation in math, it makes the physics a lot harder, and it makes you feel like you're bad at physics. In a way, the math in a physics class can be harder than the math in math class because you have understand it well enough and be comfortable enough with it to apply it in situations you've never seen before.

Yes, it's definitely more to do with maths. I don't have much trouble with the concepts in physics, just the problem solving. I had a physics test today, and it seems fairly easy, which either means that the work that we've been doing in class is harder than it needs to be (my teacher has been teaching us things from year 13 as well) or (more likely) I made lots of mistakes similar to that example.

I can understand your frustration and desire to improve in physics. It is important to remember that physics, like any other subject, requires practice and persistence to master. It is also common for concepts to become more challenging as you progress to higher levels of education.

One suggestion I have is to actively engage in class and ask questions when you are unsure about a concept or problem. This will not only help you understand the material better, but it will also show your teacher that you are dedicated to learning and improving. Additionally, consider seeking extra help from your teacher or a tutor outside of class if you feel you need more individualized attention.

In terms of problem-solving, it can be helpful to break down the problem into smaller steps and use equations and concepts you are familiar with to guide you. It is also important to carefully read and understand the given information in the problem before attempting to solve it. Practice, practice, practice is key in improving your problem-solving skills.

Lastly, remember that mistakes and wrong turns are a natural part of the learning process. Instead of getting discouraged, use them as opportunities to learn and improve in the future. With dedication and perseverance, I have no doubt that you can achieve your goal of becoming a physicist. Keep up the hard work!

Related to I'm in year twelve (in New Zealand, equivalent to 11th grade I think)

What is the education system like in New Zealand for students in year twelve?

The education system in New Zealand is divided into three levels: primary, secondary, and tertiary. Year twelve is part of the secondary level, where students are typically between the ages of 16 and 17. It is equivalent to the 11th grade in other countries.

What subjects are typically studied in year twelve in New Zealand?

In year twelve, students in New Zealand typically study a range of subjects, including English, mathematics, science, social studies, and physical education. They also have the option to choose elective subjects based on their interests and future career goals.

What are the main assessments or exams that students in year twelve have to take?

In New Zealand, students in year twelve have to take the National Certificate of Educational Achievement (NCEA) exams at the end of the year. These exams assess students' knowledge and skills in their chosen subjects and contribute to their overall NCEA qualification.

What are some common challenges that students face in year twelve?

Some common challenges that students in year twelve may face include managing a heavier workload, adjusting to a more independent learning style, and preparing for upcoming exams. It is important for students to seek support and guidance from teachers and peers to overcome these challenges.

What opportunities are available for students in year twelve in New Zealand?

In addition to academic studies, students in year twelve in New Zealand have the opportunity to participate in extracurricular activities, such as sports, music, and community service. They can also explore different career paths through work experience and career guidance programs.