I'm getting two different answers for the atomic radius of iridium

In summary, there are multiple answers for the atomic radius of iridium, with values ranging from 1.34 x 10-8 to 1.36 x 10-8. This is due to differences in defining and measuring the atomic radius. The exact value may vary depending on the method used.
Bobs
I'm getting too different answers for atomic radius of iridium. I've already found 1.34 x 10-8 but all shows different answers. I mean like 1.34, 1.35, 1.36... Are those correct?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I would say they are quite similar. The value of the atomic radius is something that depends on the way you define it (atom doesn't have a sharp edge) and the measurement method (and let's not forget about the measurement accuracy).

Likes HAYAO and symbolipoint
However, are those correct? or is there only an answer? It seems like different on wikipedia and others.

For BCC;

a = 4r/√3

mass of Ba atom = 137.327 g/mol

mass of 1 atom = 137.327 g / 6.022 x 1023 = 2.28 x 10-22 g

density of bulk = density of unit cell

total no. of Ba atoms in BCC = 2 atom

mass of 2 atom = 2 x 2.28 x 10-22 g = 4.56 x 10-22 g

mass of atoms / volume of unit cell = 3.51 g/cm3

3.51 g/cm³ = 4.56 x 10-22 g /a3

a3 = 1.299 x 10-22 cm3

a = 5.06 x 10-8 cm

we have a = 4r/√3 for BCC

r = 5.06 x 10-8 cm x √3 / 4 = 2.19 x 10-8 cm

Why do you need the radius for? Depending on how you are planning to use it, a particular definition of atomic radii may be more suitable for you than the others.

Bobs said:
I'm getting too different answers for atomic radius of iridium. I've already found 1.34 x 10-8 but all shows different answers. I mean like 1.34, 1.35, 1.36... Are those correct?

It is hard to understand your question. Are you getting "two" different answers or "too" different answers and from where are you getting answers? What methods are you using? Who is "all"?

All my teachers had found anohter answer for this question (1.34pm, 1.35pm and 1.36pm). And yes, there are too many different answers. I'm checking If that's wrong or not. However, it seems correct. Now let's look at textbook solution, it says that the answer is 1.36pm.

Related to I'm getting two different answers for the atomic radius of iridium

1. What is the atomic radius of iridium?

The atomic radius of iridium is 136.65 pm (picometers). This value is based on the average distance between the nucleus and the outermost electron shell of an iridium atom.

2. Why are there two different answers for the atomic radius of iridium?

There may be two different answers for the atomic radius of iridium because different methods can be used to measure it. This can lead to slight variations in the calculated value.

3. Which method is more accurate in determining the atomic radius of iridium?

Currently, X-ray crystallography is considered the most accurate method for determining the atomic radius of iridium. This method involves analyzing the diffraction patterns of X-rays passing through a crystal of iridium.

4. Can the atomic radius of iridium change?

The atomic radius of an element is a constant value. However, it may vary slightly depending on the specific isotope of iridium being measured.

5. How does the atomic radius of iridium compare to other elements?

Iridium has a relatively small atomic radius compared to other elements on the periodic table. It is the second smallest element, with only platinum having a smaller atomic radius.