I'm forgetting my geometry. Can I solve this triangle?

In summary, Chet was doing a physics problem and was stuck on a part. He figured out the solution by using geometry and then went on to the actual physics problem.
dzidziaud

Homework Statement

So I'm doing a physics problem, and I think I'd get the right answer if I solved this triangle. I don't know any angles. The base is 56 meters long, its height is 500 meters, and the difference between the other two sides is 4 meters. Can I figure out the sides based on this information?
If not, can I at least find out the difference in position of the vertex between the two unknown sides if they were equal vs in this situation? I hope that makes sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
dzidziaud said:

Homework Statement

So I'm doing a physics problem, and I think I'd get the right answer if I solved this triangle. I don't know any angles. The base is 56 meters long, its height is 500 meters, and the difference between the other two sides is 4 meters. Can I figure out the sides based on this information?
If not, can I at least find out the difference in position of the vertex between the two unknown sides if they were equal vs in this situation? I hope that makes sense.
Yes. You have enough information to figure out the sides. Think Pythagorean Theorem.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Yes. You have enough information to figure out the sides. Think Pythagorean Theorem.

Chet

I am assuming you mean by dropping a perpendicular that is the height of the triangle, so it is split into two right triangles? I can't figure out what to do from there though because I don't know how the 52 m side is split.

dzidziaud said:
I am assuming you mean by dropping a perpendicular that is the height of the triangle, so it is split into two right triangles? I can't figure out what to do from there though because I don't know how the 52 m side is split.
Split it into y and 56-y, and then get two equations in two unknowns. Of course, the other two sides are x and x+4.

Chet

Likes 1 person
Thanks, I finally figured it out! Unfortunately, I got the wrong answer, so I'm approaching the actual physics problem wrong. At least I got some good geometry practice out of it :)

Related to I'm forgetting my geometry. Can I solve this triangle?

1. Can I still solve a triangle if I forget my geometry?

Yes, it is possible to solve a triangle even if you have forgotten some of your geometry knowledge. There are multiple methods and formulas that can be used to find missing angles and sides of a triangle.

2. What are the basic principles of solving a triangle?

The basic principles of solving a triangle include the Pythagorean Theorem, the Law of Sines, and the Law of Cosines. These principles can help you find missing angles and sides of a triangle.

3. Do I need to know all the angles and sides of a triangle to solve it?

No, you do not need to know all the angles and sides of a triangle to solve it. You can use the given information and the principles of geometry to find the missing components of the triangle.

4. What should I do if I am stuck while solving a triangle?

If you are stuck while solving a triangle, you can try using a different formula or method. You can also break down the triangle into smaller triangles to make it easier to solve.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve a triangle?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve a triangle. However, it is important to understand the principles behind the formulas and methods you are using to solve the triangle.