Ignore voltage reference on resistors?

In summary: This means that the voltage at the negative end of the 6 ohm resistor is 1.8 volts lower than the voltage at the positive end, or 1.8 volts.In summary, when solving problem 3.19 from Schaum's Outlines: Basic Circuit Analysis, it is important to ignore the voltage reference for V3 and instead follow Kirchhoff's Voltage Law. This means summing up the voltages in a clockwise direction and summing up the resistances to find the current in the circuit. Then, using Ohm's Law, you can calculate the voltage drop across each resistor. It is also important to pay attention to the direction of the current flow and the positive and negative references when calculating voltage
rp1242
I'm working on 3.19 from Schaum's Outlines: Basic Circuit Analysis (not homework).

The problem can be found at this http://books.google.com/books?id=EP...resnum=1&ved=0CBMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false".

I'm confused about why you're supposed to ignore the voltage reference of V3 in this case. I'm looking at my circuits textbook from school and it says to subtract voltages when negative signs are encountered first and add voltages when positive signs comes first (KVL).

Can anyone help me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Its because that voltage reference ignored the direction of the current flow. In other words, Voltage V3= -I*6 = -1.8
Then, doing a Kirchhoff...
Vab= VR2+5-V3+V4-8
Vab= (15*0.3)+5-(-1.8)+(8*0.5)-8
Vab= 5.7 Volts

But that's not the best way to solve this kind of problem.Remember that n elements in series share the same current, so if you sum the ohmic value of all the resistors, multiply it by the current in the circuit and then doing the algebraic sum of the voltage sources you got your answer. This way the only reference you have to take in consideration is the one of the voltage you are after. Make sure your current 'enters' by the positive reference.

Lets do the same example using my logic, this time using the left side of the circuit since it has less components.
10 ohms + 11 ohms = 21 ohms
21ohms multiplied by -0.3Amps = -6.3V
-6.3 plus the voltage source 12v = 5.7V
The current in this case is -0.3 becase it was initially defined in the other direction, and the voltageAB is defined such as the current 'enters' by its positive reference.

If the voltage had been defined with opposite references, it would have been like:
21*0.3= 6.3V
6.3 - 12 = -5.7V
In this case the voltage is defined such as the current 'enters' by its negative reference. Which is the same direction it was initially defined.

Finally, you can always change the voltage references acording to you likings and then change it back as what the problem asked for. So in that same problem you can define V3 with the opposites references and simply solve the equation the book provided. Though keep in mind that if you were also asked for the voltage V3 and you answered it with the opposite reference it would have been a wrong answer. In the original circuit V3 = -1.8Volts
The equation used by the book defined V3 as 1.8 Volts.

Last edited:
Thanks, Rainier. That helps a lot!

For some reason, I thought that the voltage reference symbols indicated whether an element supplied or consumed power. This clears up my confusion about "resistors supplying power."

Thanks again!

You could add up the voltages going clockwise around the circuit:

Voltage = 12 V - 5 V + 8 V = 15 volts

Then add up the resistances

Total resistance = 10 + 15 + 6 + 8 + 11 = 50 ohms.

So, the current = 15 volts / 50 ohms = 0.3 amps flowing clockwise around the loop.

Voltage drop across any resistor = 0.3 amps * R

So voltage drop across the 6 ohm R = 0.3 amps * 6 ohms = 1.8 volts,
but the positive end of the resistor is at the top in the diagram because the current is flowing clockwise and enters this end first.

Related to Ignore voltage reference on resistors?

1. What is a voltage reference on a resistor?

A voltage reference on a resistor is a designated point on the resistor that serves as a reference for measuring the voltage drop across the resistor. It is typically marked with a letter "V" on the resistor.

2. Why would I want to ignore the voltage reference on a resistor?

Ignoring the voltage reference on a resistor is often done when calculating the resistance of a circuit. This is because the voltage reference point may not be located at the start or end of the resistor, making it difficult to accurately measure the voltage drop across the entire length of the resistor.

3. How do I ignore the voltage reference on a resistor?

To ignore the voltage reference on a resistor, you can simply measure the voltage drop across the entire length of the resistor without focusing on the designated reference point. This will give you a more accurate measurement of the resistance in the circuit.

4. Are there any downsides to ignoring the voltage reference on a resistor?

Ignoring the voltage reference on a resistor may result in a slightly higher or lower resistance measurement, depending on the placement of the reference point. However, this difference is usually negligible and does not significantly affect the overall calculation of the circuit.

5. Can I always ignore the voltage reference on a resistor?

In most cases, you can ignore the voltage reference on a resistor without any major consequences. However, there may be certain circuits or situations where the voltage reference point plays a crucial role in the overall function of the circuit. In these cases, it is important to carefully consider the impact of ignoring the voltage reference before proceeding with the calculation.