Ig Noble Nominee in Statistics

• Thread starter Hornbein
  • Start date
In summary, Conklin and Daniel's study found that NBA players from teams in low-tax states have a higher free-throw percentage when playing in high-tax states compared to when they play in zero-tax states. The statistical significance of this finding was confirmed with a p-value of 0.028. The Ig Nobel committee has received over 1.2 million articles and allows self-nominated papers, with about 10-15% of winners being self-nominees. The author of this conversation also received recognition for their nomination and chose a back issue of the Ig Nobel magazine on rotation.
Hornbein
This summary copied from https://www.counterpunch.org/2023/07/25/289783/

In Taxes and Athletic Performance: Why NBA Players Perform Better in Low-Tax States, Conklin and Daniel introduce what they see as compelling statistical evidence that higher state tax rates cause NBA players to miss free throws that NBA players in low-tax states make.

Conklin and Daniel chose six teams from relatively low-tax states — the Cleveland Cavaliers, Detroit Pistons, Charlotte Hornets, Indiana Pacers, Denver Nuggets, and Utah Jazz — and analyzed their free-throw percentages in away games against six teams in zero-income-tax states (Texas, Tennessee, and Florida) and nine teams in high-income-tax jurisdictions (New York, Oregon, Minnesota, California, and the District of Columbia).

In the resulting 465-game dataset, players from the six teams based in low-income-tax states made an average 77.04 percent on the free throws they shot in high-tax state arenas. These same players, when playing away games in a zero-tax state, averaged 78.9-percent makes.

Find that significant? Conklin and Daniel certainly did. They checked “for statistical significance” at the 95-percent level, they explain, with a “simple, two-sample regression analysis assuming equal variances” and had their sample’s statistical significance “confirmed with a p-value of 0.028, well under the required 0.05.”

---

SSRN, formerly known as Social Science Research Network, has published well over 1.2 million articles.

---

I know it's a nominee for the Ig Nobel because I nominated it. "By tradition, for balance, on the final day of deliberations, a random passerby is invited to help make the decision." I found out that while nominees have the option of quietly refusing the prize, this is seldom exercised. Indeed about 10-15% of winners are self-nominees. Many welcome the publicity. NHK had a special in which they interviewed Japanese Ig Nobel winners.

https://improbable.com/ig/about-the-ig-nobel-prizes/ig-nobel-nominations/

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes hutchphd
Physics news on Phys.org
What an excellent paper!

It would be interesting to look at pre-2015 Celtics data, as then Massachusetts was a so-called double tax state.

The Ig Noble people wrote back, "I can see why anyone, or at least the authors, would be impressed." They gave me my choice of a free back issue of their magazine. I chose the one on rotation. What kooky things could anyone do with rotation? Guess I'm going to find out.

1. What is an Ig Nobel Prize?

The Ig Nobel Prize is a satirical award given out annually by the magazine Annals of Improbable Research to honor unusual or trivial achievements in scientific research. It is meant to celebrate the lighter side of science and to encourage people to think creatively and critically about the world around them.

2. What is the Ig Nobel Nominee in Statistics?

The Ig Nobel Nominee in Statistics is a category within the Ig Nobel Prize that recognizes research in the field of statistics that is both unusual and humorous. The nominees are selected by a committee of scientists and are announced before the actual Ig Nobel Prize ceremony takes place.

3. How are the nominees for the Ig Nobel Prize in Statistics chosen?

The nominees for the Ig Nobel Prize in Statistics are chosen by a committee of scientists and are based on a variety of criteria, including the novelty and absurdity of the research, as well as its potential impact on society. Nominations can be submitted by anyone, but the final decision is made by the committee.

4. Can anyone win the Ig Nobel Prize in Statistics?

Yes, anyone can win the Ig Nobel Prize in Statistics, regardless of their profession or background. The only requirement is that the research must be original, unusual, and humorous. Many past winners have been scientists, but there have also been winners from other fields, such as literature and economics.

5. How does winning the Ig Nobel Prize in Statistics benefit the recipient?

Winning the Ig Nobel Prize in Statistics can bring attention and recognition to the recipient's research, as well as their overall career. It can also serve as a platform for the recipient to share their work and ideas with a wider audience. Additionally, the award can be a source of humor and pride for the recipient and their colleagues.