If you shoot an electron at a wall....

In summary: This is because the electron will travel in a straight line with constant velocity in the x-direction, so its position at any given time will be given by ##x(t)=x_0+v_xt##, where ##x_0## is the initial position and ##v_x## is the x-component of the velocity. Since the velocity is constant and the electron travels in a straight line, the position at any given time will be uniquely determined by the initial position and the velocity. Therefore, if the initial momentum is precise and the velocity is known, the position at which the electron will hit the wall can be calculated precisely.
mike1000 said:
The wave-particle duality comes to mind.

In that sense, that is true:biggrin: That is why one should learn science from textbooks, not pop-sci books.

Physics news on Phys.org
weirdoguy said:
In that sense, that is true:biggrin: That is why one should learn science from textbooks, not pop-sci books.

Textbooks have their own unique set of problems.(no pun intended).

Maybe, but none of them textbooks will tell you that particle takes any trajectory. That is not intuitive, but you really have to gice up most of your classical thinking.

Btw, am I the only one who didn't have any problem in giving up my classical intuitions? I was always like "oh, ok", and most of my collegues got into looong discussions during QM lectures...

mike1000 said:
As far as I know, interference has never been observed for a single particle. It always takes a system of at least two or more particles to observe interference patterns.

This is obviously false, since as DrClaude pointed out, the double slit experiment can be run with only one particle at a time, and you still get an interference pattern.

mike1000 said:
I think what you are implying is that QM really cannot say anything about a single particle.

This is obviously false as well. QM does not say a single particle has a definite path, but that's a long way from not saying anything at all about a single particle.

mike1000 said:
This suggests to me that the single particle does indeed follow some path.

Garbage in, garbage out.

mike1000 said:
If you say that is false, please provide a link.

Any QM textbook will do.

mike1000 said:
Textbooks have their own unique set of problems

You can always go directly to the original peer-reviewed papers if you have questions about what a textbook is telling you. What you can't do is just decide not to believe the textbooks because "they have problems".

The OP's question has been more than sufficiently addressed. Thread closed.

Likes vanhees71 and weirdoguy