If you put a fan in front of airplane wings, how powerful would it need to be?

In summary, the conversation discussed the potential use of a fan in the front of an airplane wing to help it fly. There were questions about the necessary power for a small model airplane, wearable wings, and a larger plane. The use of a propeller was also mentioned.
ForumFire
I was just wondering, that if you attached a fan in the front of an airplane wing, would it fly?
If so, then how powerful would the fan need to be for a small model airplane, say 0.4m and 1kg, to fly/hover? Or if i made wearable wings, and i put them on, how powerful then would the fan have to be? Would a medium-strength leaf blower do the job? Or how about a 3m long 300kg plane?

Physics news on Phys.org

ForumFire said:
I was just wondering, that if you attached a fan in the front of an airplane wing, would it fly?

Er... isn't that what a "propeller" is?

Zz.

I cannot provide a definitive answer without conducting experiments and collecting data. However, I can provide some insights and considerations for your question.

Firstly, attaching a fan in front of an airplane wing is not a common design in aircraft engineering. The shape and angle of the wing are carefully designed to generate lift, and adding a fan may disrupt the aerodynamics of the wing and decrease its efficiency. It is also important to note that the thrust generated by the fan would need to be directed downwards to counteract the weight of the plane and generate lift, which may require additional modifications to the wing design.

In terms of the power needed for a small model airplane to fly or hover, it would depend on various factors such as the design of the fan, the size and weight of the plane, and the desired flight characteristics. A medium-strength leaf blower may be able to provide enough thrust for a small model airplane to hover, but it may not be sufficient for sustained flight. As for wearable wings, the power needed would also depend on the design and weight of the wings, as well as the weight and strength of the person wearing them.

For a larger plane, such as a 3m long 300kg aircraft, a leaf blower would not be powerful enough to generate the necessary thrust for sustained flight. In designing and building a plane of this size, it would be important to carefully consider the weight and design of the wings, as well as the power and efficiency of the engine or propulsion system.

In conclusion, the power needed for a fan attached to airplane wings would depend on various factors and would require further experimentation and data collection to determine accurately. However, it is important to note that the traditional design of airplane wings has been extensively tested and optimized for efficient flight, and adding a fan may not necessarily improve its performance.

Related to If you put a fan in front of airplane wings, how powerful would it need to be?

1. How does a fan affect airplane wings?

A fan placed in front of airplane wings creates an artificial wind, which affects the airflow over the wings. This can potentially increase the lift generated by the wings, allowing the airplane to fly at lower speeds.

2. How powerful does the fan need to be to make a noticeable difference?

The power of the fan needed depends on various factors such as the size and speed of the airplane, the angle of the wings, and the design of the fan itself. Generally, a fan with a high enough speed and airflow can significantly affect the lift generated by the wings.

3. Can a fan be used to increase the speed of an airplane?

In most cases, a fan placed in front of airplane wings would not increase the speed of the airplane. While it can potentially increase lift at lower speeds, it can also create drag, which can slow down the airplane.

4. Is it safe to use a fan in front of airplane wings?

Using a fan in front of airplane wings is not recommended as it can potentially disrupt the natural airflow and stability of the airplane. This can result in unpredictable and dangerous flight conditions.

5. Are there any real-life examples of using a fan in front of airplane wings?

Some experimental aircraft have used fans in front of their wings to increase lift at lower speeds. However, this is not a common practice in commercial or military aircraft and is still in the early stages of research and development.