If you know anything about Solid State this should be trivial.

In summary, the specific heat of metals is determined by electronic and phonon contributions, with the electronic-specific heat coefficient being denoted as gamma (\gamma). This coefficient can be used to find the temperature at which the two contributions are equal, as shown in Kittel's Intro to Solid State Physics.
WolfOfTheSteps

Homework Statement

The specific heat of metals is dominated by the electronic contribution at low temperatures, and by phonons at high temperatures. At what temperature are the two contributions equal in rubidium? Note that
[tex]\gamma=2.41\frac{mJ}{mole K^2}[/tex]
for rubidium. Briefly describe your thinking.

The Attempt at a Solution

Just a quick question: What the heck is gamma ([itex]\gamma[/itex])?? It looks like some mutation of specific heat with moles and the kelvin squared! The chapter I am working on never mentions this variable!

If anyone knows, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
After a lot of creative googling, I finally found out that this seems to be called the "electronic-specific heat coefficient."

I inferred this from highly technical articles that I have no idea how to understand. Does anyone know what this coefficient is, and how I might use it?

I guess this is not trivial.

This is from Kittel's Intro to Solid State Physics:

At temperatures much below both the Debye temperature [tex]\theta[/tex] and the fermi temperature [tex]T_F[/tex], the heat capacity of metals may be written as the sum of electron and phonon contributions:

[tex] C = \gamma T + AT^3 [/tex]

So that explains your gamma. Now you just have to set the two terms equal and solve for T. Presumably you have an expression for the heat capacity of phonons in your chapter?

Related to If you know anything about Solid State this should be trivial.

1. What is Solid State?

Solid State refers to the physical state of matter where particles are closely packed together and have a fixed shape and volume. In this state, atoms or molecules are arranged in a regular pattern and have strong bonds between them.

2. What is the difference between Solid State and other states of matter?

The main difference between Solid State and other states of matter (liquid and gas) is the arrangement and movement of particles. In Solid State, particles have a fixed position and only vibrate, while in liquid and gas, particles can move freely and take the shape of their container.

3. How is Solid State relevant in everyday life?

Solid State materials are used in many everyday objects such as electronics, construction materials, and household items. Without Solid State, we wouldn't have devices like computers, cell phones, or even cars.

4. How does Solid State affect the behavior of materials?

The properties of Solid State materials, such as strength, hardness, and electrical conductivity, are determined by the arrangement of particles and the type of bonds between them. This can greatly influence how a material behaves and how it can be used.

5. Are there any potential applications for Solid State research?

Yes, Solid State research is ongoing and has many potential applications in various fields, such as energy storage, medical devices, and environmental technologies. It also has the potential to improve existing technologies and create new ones in the future.